V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2001 mustang v6 convertible trans delay

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 11:13 AM
JMikk

Default 2001 mustang v6 convertible trans delay

Hey all, my girl has a 01 convertible v6. The car has 217k no major parts replaced. Just maintained, first owner was an aircraft mechanic so it was always taken care of. These days with the trans at 217k it takes a moment to click into gear, if you shift to reverse with foot on brake it sits and then the car shifts and sinks into the suspension from the torque. Is there any band adjustments I can make? I’ve serviced it twice in recent times so fluids fresh with filter.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:26 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

There is no band adjust on your transmission, and you only have an overdrive band.

With 217,000 miles, if all original, consider yourself lucky it shifts at all..

Here is a 4R70W tear-down video:

Those servos are the leading cause of failure or delayed engagement. Yours has a reverse
servo, it's the first one on the left he takes out, then the O/D band servo to the right of that.

The servo bore wears, and the piston drags against it, or it takes a few seconds for fluid
pressure to build up.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:03 PM
JMikk

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
There is no band adjust on your transmission, and you only have an overdrive band.

With 217,000 miles, if all original, consider yourself lucky it shifts at all..

Here is a 4R70W tear-down video:
https://youtu.be/GLFn6vBz-AQ

Those servos are the leading cause of failure or delayed engagement. Yours has a reverse
servo, it's the first one on the left he takes out, then the O/D band servo to the right of that.

The servo bore wears, and the piston drags against it, or it takes a few seconds for fluid
pressure to build up.

its crazy, the car doesn’t slip at all and it’s generally happy to be alive! It’s shakes pretty crazy at idle some times, idles at 1k if it drops under it shakes and chokes. It gets up and moves out of the way, it would probably be happier if I put manifolds on it. But yeah it’s a good little car!
Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

IIRC, I think it's normal for it to take about one second to engage Reverse. There is a way to help speed that up through the "J-mod" though.

But that's not to say that there isn't something wrong with the (stock, I presume?) transmission. Could be a problem with the valve body or Reverse servo, or something deeper like a Reverse piston seal... I would check the shift linkage first though, just to make sure it's not out of adjustment.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:52 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Slip is not delayed engagement, so sure, once in gear, it won't slip unless the
clutches are bad. Slip in O/D would be the O/D band.

I have the 5R55S Trans, and it takes a good second to go into reverse... I am not
concerned about it. It takes a second to go into Drive as well, I mean, that's
pretty normal, if you mean ONE second, and not two or three seconds. I have
a '12 Jetta, and it takes about 1 second to go into gear, not two or three...

Funny thing is, on my 5R55S, NAG1, 09G, when the TRANS went into limp mode, they
slammed into gear harder and faster... As soon as I went into drive, it was quick and
harsh... Different programming in LIMP mode... With my former '15 Jetta TSI, it
shifted completely different when the EPC light was on. With the EPC light on, the
shifts were faster, crisper, and not sloppy, downshifts also smoothed out. That was
due to overboost, but I left it on because I liked the better response from the transmission.
My Charger, with the NAG1, when it went into limp mode, all you got was 2nd gear, but
as soon as you went into drive, BANG, right into 2, no delay. IT just goes to show
the electronics control over the trans differences.

I have FIRM SHIFTS enabled on my '08 Mustang now, is an option with the tuner.
It's a little faster at initial engagement, and instant shifts when accelerating. I need
to adjust the bands though... Plan on it when the weather breaks... I can only adjust
the intermediate and O/D bands, not the reverse band..
Old 03-19-2019, 03:02 PM
JMikk

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Slip is not delayed engagement, so sure, once in gear, it won't slip unless the
clutches are bad. Slip in O/D would be the O/D band.

I have the 5R55S Trans, and it takes a good second to go into reverse... I am not
concerned about it. It takes a second to go into Drive as well, I mean, that's
pretty normal, if you mean ONE second, and not two or three seconds. I have
a '12 Jetta, and it takes about 1 second to go into gear, not two or three...

Funny thing is, on my 5R55S, NAG1, 09G, when the TRANS went into limp mode, they
slammed into gear harder and faster... As soon as I went into drive, it was quick and
harsh... Different programming in LIMP mode... With my former '15 Jetta TSI, it
shifted completely different when the EPC light was on. With the EPC light on, the
shifts were faster, crisper, and not sloppy, downshifts also smoothed out. That was
due to overboost, but I left it on because I liked the better response from the transmission.
My Charger, with the NAG1, when it went into limp mode, all you got was 2nd gear, but
as soon as you went into drive, BANG, right into 2, no delay. IT just goes to show
the electronics control over the trans differences.

I have FIRM SHIFTS enabled on my '08 Mustang now, is an option with the tuner.
It's a little faster at initial engagement, and instant shifts when accelerating. I need
to adjust the bands though... Plan on it when the weather breaks... I can only adjust
the intermediate and O/D bands, not the reverse band..
her 01 takes 3-5 seconds to grab a gear range that’s my concern. If it gets into gear it’s fine.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:13 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

3-5 is too long...

It's usually the 2-3 piston spring retainer has cracked or split the retainer plate.
This used to mean, you needed a whole new valve body, but superior transmission
parts made a harder and more durable plate, and is a drop in replacement. Taking
the pan off, and replacing it of course. Then, the valve body check ***** shrink, and
either just disappear, or fall into the pan causing other shift issues and lubrication problems.

Retainer plate crack or split causes a 3-5 second "D" engagement, and 2nd to 3rd gear
soft slip. It may get worse as the trans heats up. Like, cold may be 3-seond delay into
drive, but when hot, longer because the fluid is thinner hot.