V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Another J-modded 4R70W

Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Default Another J-modded 4R70W

Its been a week since the tranny is jmodded.

its great like my expectation. The process was not difficult but very time consuming for me. about 4 hours plus! I found taking out the snap ring to be the most challenging part. The autozone guy gave me the wrong one!!! pic is below. This was my first time using a snap ring so i didnt know.

Here are some typical pictures.

[IMG][/IMG]

snap ring opens out when squeezed instead of in.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

I took out the 2 bottom springs from 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator.

How do I like the jmod?

I've been driving w/ the SCT tuner line pressure at 15% for all gears and i would say the jmod is stronger and firmer. (Now the tuner is at zero, i cant image it at 15% increase).

shifting from 1-2 is too hard for me. I reduced the line pressure by 20% but its still to hard. maybe i should have kept the 1-2 spring in instead.

Again, highly recommend other stang owners to jmod their tranny.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 PM
laser.redv6sleeper

What is the j mod? I have a 4r70w but havent ever heard of this before... is the SCT necessary for it? Or can you use a different tuner, or possibly even no tuner?
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a cool mod. Im to the point in my life where I do nothing serious to a car. Mostly cause Im likely to ruin it and the wife would kill me. And the other reason is I know nothing about cars these days hahaha. my 74 Toyota Corolla I could tear down and fix in an hour. These days with sensors and computers Im lost. On that old thing some of the stuff i recall are adjusting points, calibrating the manual choke, replacing the throttle with a coat hanger, taking out and leaving out the thermostat...you name it haha. Man those were cars....now they are nothing but a pc on wheels.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:46 AM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

Did the Jmod to mine a couple months back.
Was much easier then you think or it looks !!!!

Did tons of research and finally found some good pics on a somewhat how to thread and was confident I could do it.
That and a 3200 stall for me has my shift points a bit off, but a new tune should fix all that up.

Anyways. I have a ton of pics on the subject. Haven't made a how to thread yet. But will sooner or later...

My info starts here:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...p-info-59.html
Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 AM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

Last edited by mustangmike09; 04-08-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 PM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

Thats a quick run down of the Jmod on my 04.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by laser.redv6sleeper
What is the j mod? I have a 4r70w but havent ever heard of this before... is the SCT necessary for it? Or can you use a different tuner, or possibly even no tuner?
Its basically a modification to ur valve body (something under the transmission).

Its called the jmod b/c jerry, the creator of our transmission cooked up the modification himself.

It greatly extends the tranny's life and provides us w/ better shifting (firmer and faster).

all together, its a shift kit, similar to transgo or b&m. but i think jmod is better b/c its from jerry. oh yeah, jmod is almost free.

NO tuner is needed, but w/ a tuner, if the shift is too firm or still a bit soft, you can fine tune it to your perfect liking (b/c each car different and jmod is a one size fit all so tuner can fine tune it to the INDIVIDUAL driver).

There's lots of info out there, i recommend using videos and articles w/ pics. its very doable.

There's lots of support and ppl here to help if you have a free weekend.
you wont regret it and your stang w/ thank you for it.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 PM
yjmud

the jmod is a real nice firm shift in panther cars
it is worth doing
Old 04-13-2012, 02:21 AM
Dilys95

I took out the 2 bottom springs from 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another J-modded 4R70W