V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Underdrive pulleys...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 03:55 AM
Manster

Default Underdrive pulleys...

Hi, I just bought a set of pulleys from Steeda and it just arrived. I ask a shop to fit for me and they said my rpm is too low and if i fit the pulleys, it will hurt my charging and cooling system. Is that true? i read the forum and got some mix answers. Some say it's no problem while some said that it's a big problem. Well my normal criusing rpm is around 1700rpm. So is it ok? Someone please advise... thanks!
Old 09-18-2005, 04:13 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Underdrive pulleys...

I just had 42% under drive crank and waterpump pulleys installed. I had the same concerns. But you know what? I notice NO diference. Just MORE POWER!! Find another shop!
Old 09-18-2005, 04:23 AM
Manster

Well thank god! Someone answered my question.... thanks! I found a shop that would do it for my for $85. think it's still ok. You know which website i should go to buy cai kits? Thanks yellowpony! the best color for a mustang is really yellow..
Old 09-18-2005, 05:00 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Manster

Well thank god! Someone answered my question.... thanks! I found a shop that would do it for my for $85. think it's still ok. You know which website i should go to buy cai kits? Thanks yellowpony! the best color for a mustang is really yellow..
You're welcome. I bought my FIPK2(cai) direct from K&N. If you want to save some money, you can get a nice one on E-Bay. BUT, remember to check the seller's feedback before purchasing. And $85.00 is a great price. Just wondering, did you get the 2 pulley set?
BTW, you will not actually gain HP. What it does is transfer HP from driving accessories to the rear wheels. Just in case you thought diferent. Gain is minimal..maybe 8RWHP or so, but I definatly noticed it. May I suggest investing in a Diablo flash tuner. That actually GAINS HP. Plus you can turn off the DAMNED speed limiter..and much more. Remap Fuel injection, change shift points on the tranny, make the shift harder, or softer, and if you get gears, it can recalibrate the speedometer. And check trouble codes...monitor some systems..etc, etc, etc.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:07 AM
Caddstang
2nd Gear Member

hey 03yellowpony, I'm going to be ordering a 42% crank pulley soon, was the difference noticeable? Where did you gain the most power RPM wise?

thanks
mike
Old 09-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Manster

Thanks! i tried looking for the Diablo sport tuner for my stang but apparently, they dun have one for the 98' mustang. It's sure hard to get a performance part for the 98. Well i'll go with the cai first for now. Maybe a BBK fenderwell mount. The steeda one looks cool but it's really expensive. My friend got one cai from ebay, the the guy forgot to include a piece that connects to the MAF sensor, bummer. Well the pulleys i got is the 2 set one. One for the crankshaft and one for dunno where...haha not too sure.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:13 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Caddstang

hey 03yellowpony, I'm going to be ordering a 42% crank pulley soon, was the difference noticeable? Where did you gain the most power RPM wise?

thanks
mike
As I said, all it does is transfer HP. Not add. I noticed the change all through the power band. I just wish I had dynoed her before.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:15 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Manster

Thanks! i tried looking for the Diablo sport tuner for my stang but apparently, they dun have one for the 98' mustang. It's sure hard to get a performance part for the 98. Well i'll go with the cai first for now. Maybe a BBK fenderwell mount. The steeda one looks cool but it's really expensive. My friend got one cai from ebay, the the guy forgot to include a piece that connects to the MAF sensor, bummer. Well the pulleys i got is the 2 set one. One for the crankshaft and one for dunno where...haha not too sure.
The second pulley is for the water pump. Try a SCT tuner? www.vmptuning.com or www.v6mustangstuff.com
Better yet, ask Autobadges if he can get one for ya. He has a store.
OH..damn me! Have you done the dual exhaust yet? I noticed a much better throttle response the second I had it installed.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:29 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/SCTTuner.htm
Direct link to the SCT tuner ay v6mustangstuff. It covers from 94-2005
Good luck!
Old 09-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Manster

Just had my underdrive pulleys fitted this morning, and it's running great! Can feel that little more power released. Anyway yellowpony, the other set of pulley was for the alternator, not the water pump. Also, I won't be getting the sport tuner, that's way too expensive for me. My next mod would be the CAI. Thanks everyone...

Quick Reply: Underdrive pulleys...