V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

New kid on the block, with another exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Dumped single exhaust = power loss on a stock to mildly modded 3.8L. Just throwing that out there.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM
deathcomesarippin

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Dumped single exhaust = power loss on a stock to mildly modded 3.8L. Just throwing that out there.
And your proof? Im not saying you dont know anything about cars, but untill I see numbers, eh.

Originally Posted by mustangmike09
no just no 0_o

Duals ...

Their are so many different options I dont know why your saying this coke can **** ?

Divorced, H, X, Pro; mid pipes make a HUGE difference in the way it will sound as well as mufflers choice.
Why am I saying this coke can ****? because to me a v6 with duals sounds like that. and why would I want to waste the money for H pipes or x pipes on an even firing engine?

I have also done research about this. And from what everything I have read, duals gain top end but you lose torque. And your adding weight to the cars with duals. I don't think the 3 or 5 HP you get is going to make up for that. With a single you'll keep and add some torque, that's what I was aiming for.

I planned on dumping before the rearend, if I have to then ill just go out the side.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deathcomesarippin
And your proof? Im not saying you dont know anything about cars, but untill I see numbers, eh.

Why am I saying this coke can ****? because to me a v6 with duals sounds like that. and why would I want to waste the money for H pipes or x pipes on an even firing engine?

I have also done research about this. And from what everything I have read, duals gain top end but you lose torque. And your adding weight to the cars with duals. I don't think the 3 or 5 HP you get is going to make up for that. With a single you'll keep and add some torque, that's what I was aiming for.

I planned on dumping before the rearend, if I have to then ill just go out the side.
I dropped over a second off my quarter mile and added 4 mph to my trap speed by doing a tune up, long tubes, and a 2.5" cat back, your right loosing power sucks. and im really not conserned with the extra 25 pounds a set of duals adds.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:15 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Over a decade of building, driving, racing, designing and producing performance parts for Fords 3.8L/4.2L pushrod engines says so.

But, hey - what do I know?

I'd highly suggest checking out a wide range of dual set ups before going with the very bold blanket statement like they all sound like coke cans.

Power numbers will depend on a few things like type of cats, which manifolds you go with, pipe diameter, muffler type and other misc things. You build the exhaust to match the motor - and put the power where you need it.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 PM
deathcomesarippin

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Over a decade of building, driving, racing, designing and producing performance parts for Fords 3.8L/4.2L pushrod engines says so.

But, hey - what do I know?

I'd highly suggest checking out a wide range of dual set ups before going with the very bold blanket statement like they all sound like coke cans.

Power numbers will depend on a few things like type of cats, which manifolds you go with, pipe diameter, muffler type and other misc things. You build the exhaust to match the motor - and put the power where you need it.
Not saying you don't know nothing, I've only built bikes. I could use some advice, but an engine is an engine they work the same. I thought id just get my hands dirty on this stang I just bought. I was just looking for good low end power/ torque. On my bike, I try to lean more towards top end HP because there is not enough weight to really worry about torque, and being only a 600 it revs up fast and easy, that's not the case with the mustang.

Id like to be able to pull of the line in a decent manor, or come off of a corner roll on the throttle and actually feel something out of the low end. I know I wont do this with just the exhaust Alone. but that's what I want to gear my build towards.

P.S. sorry if I came off offensive, dont want to start off on the wrong note, but my apologies . Im just here to learn, and ask questions.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

All stock nothing changed original EVERYTHING

Deleted 2 cats, h-pipe, one resonator on each side, and true duals from there back. New set up is roughly the same diameter as the stock pipe size.

I know it's an iPhone app but I did quite a few runs for both and only came up with a variance of + or - like 5

Apart from that, throttle response is vastly improved.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

When I first got the exhaust done there were no resonators, just deleted 2 cats and h-pipe, it was way to loud and made the car slower. Had them add the resonators and seem to have hit a sweet spot with backpressure and what not.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Not saying you don't know nothing, I've only built bikes. I could use some advice, but an engine is an engine they work the same. I thought id just get my hands dirty on this stang I just bought. I was just looking for good low end power/ torque. On my bike, I try to lean more towards top end HP because there is not enough weight to really worry about torque, and being only a 600 it revs up fast and easy, that's not the case with the mustang.

Id like to be able to pull of the line in a decent manor, or come off of a corner roll on the throttle and actually feel something out of the low end. I know I wont do this with just the exhaust Alone. but that's what I want to gear my build towards.

P.S. sorry if I came off offensive, dont want to start off on the wrong note, but my apologies . Im just here to learn, and ask questions.
engine is an engine.... what if its a 13B :P?

Anyway you want low end torque put an m112 kit on it, or an m90 supercharger.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Why does that look like a smart phone app instead of a real sheet?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

if you are worried about more torque why not just throw some 4.10s in it instead of half-arsing the exhaust?

Quick Reply: New kid on the block, with another exhaust question.