V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

should I buy this Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 AM
adivondinca

Originally Posted by a_page06

I'm not sure about why the clutch could be hard to press, but keep in mind that anything power production related (engine, clutch, transmission, driveshaft, rear end) related, isn't just the car's comfort features, but the very function of the car itself. If there's something that obvious with how it drives I'd probably steer clear myself, but with your particular geographic location/availability it becomes a harder question. Keep in mind getting replacement parts/a mechanic with the required knowledge to replace those parts, unless you plan to do it yourself of course, may be hard to find.
I will try as much as possible to fix it by myself - and where it gets complicated, there are some places where they repair American cars (as for the parts, viva eBay + a shop in Germany specialized). Anyway I know it is is a reliable car - so I'm not worrying so much for this
Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

A great thing for you to do is establish yourself on forums with itrader feedback like SVTperformance.com and corral.net and moddedmustangs.com also as mentioned above, ebay too.

Those places keep track of good and bad feedback, once you get a couple people to sell to you others will see that your safe and sell to you too with more ease and trust.

Many Americans (myself included) are very hesitant to sell overseas because of high shipping and the high chance of scamming. The high shipping isnt a big deal if the buyer is paying for the shipping but we still worry about being scammed.

This isnt something against good overseas members of our community, it just takes a bit more to build a relationship.

Buying used parts from peoples part outs will save you a lot of money and are more often than not better than the poorly made aftermarket parts.

Of course on your end you have to protect yoursellf too, always request lots of photos if you do not feel good about the ones provided and ask lots of questions, there is nothing worse than paying for something that you think is in X-shape and it comes to you damaged or isnt complete.

Do you have any pictures of the Mustang that you are looking to buy?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frantz
For the clutch, are you saying it feels hard for other model cars or from other mustangs? Every car has a different feel and if your used to little compacts then the mustang will feel heavy.
+1 to this. Unsure about your average European car, but I know from experience that Mustang clutches are much stiffer in general than the Japanese cars I've driven over the years. From the way you're talking, I am guessing this is the first Mustang you have driven, so you may just be unfamiliar with the crazy American hard clutch and not have any other Mustang experience to compare it to...
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 PM
adivondinca

I will register to these sites, hope I can get the parts cheaper. But again, it is a reliable car overall, right? So the discussion about parts shouldn't come more than 1-2 times a year, considering a 10-15,000 miles / year?

here is the link with the add (and some pictures.. the final price being 6000 euros):
Pictures

Then I will revise the clutch with a mechanic, I'm sure that something could be adjusted (as I drove a '99 Mustang which felt a bit better, but with a brand new clutch).. Thanks for this, didn't know they are stiffer - but this is not a problem, during the 6 months I owned it I really felt the pleasure of.. driving
Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

When i sold my 97 it has around 150,000 miles on it. It had had 2 problems. First one was a split battery terminal, and the second was a failed O2 sensor. Not bad for the mileage.

Current 98 has just under 90,000 miles with few problems. Nothing disabling, just littel things.

With that mileage make sure the odometer is actually working. These cars do have a history of failure of the gear in the instrument cluster. The speedometer works but the odometer does not.