V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Help needed diagnosing a chirping noise in the engine bay!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 PM
ahjjones

Exclamation Help needed diagnosing a chirping noise in the engine bay!

Hello everyone,
I've recently purchased a 2000 Mustang V6 with 160k miles as a project, but I'm loving it so much that I have a feeling it may end up be my daily driver soon. Now, it has a few things that need to be fixed, but the most urgent thing is this annoying chirping noise that I can't for the life of me find out what it is! I originally thought it was the belt tensioner but replaced that to no avail, and the previous owner thought it was the water pump yet that still hasn't done anything to fix the noise. The only thing I can think of is that it may be the camshaft synchronizer. I embedded videos, and as you can see from the interior view once you press on the accelerator the sound goes away a bit and comes back down once the car starts idling again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klo3C67vub0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFRSHNCG3Js
Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Hard to tell from a video as I can't get the same since as being there. Does engaging the A/C affect it?

A mechanics stethescope might help. Really useful for pinpointing noises.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 PM
ahjjones

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Hard to tell from a video as I can't get the same since as being there. Does engaging the A/C affect it?

The A/C has no affect on it at all, and the stethoscope really didn't help much because everything it could be is all in the same general area ie. Belt tensioner, water pump, camshaft sync. I'm starting to think it's the camshaft sync since the water pump and belt tensioner have both been changed, but I wanted a few more opinions before I try and change it out.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:37 PM
ahjjones

Originally Posted by belairbrian

Also, it sounds exactly the same in person as it does on the video. The wind noise messed it up a bit but it's almost a pretty good reference.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:41 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Could be the idler pulley. Try removing the belt and see if it goes away (don't run it for long that way). If you still hear it then you'll now it isn't one of the accessories.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

inspect your belt really good as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM
ahjjones

Originally Posted by Fink
inspect your belt really good as well.
I replaced the belt when I replaced the belt tensioner which was just this past weekend. The same noise was apparent with the old belt as well, by the way.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:42 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

ok, so you changed the belt, you changed the tensioner, you changed the water pump and when the A/C is on the sound doesnt change?

you couldnt pin point anything with the mech stetho either?
The sound increases and goes away with the rise of RPM's.

Alright so that leaves the top pulley, the alt, the ps pump and the CPS. Dont rule out your A/C though, the pulley is always turning.

To be honest, from the video the chirp was loudest when you went over to the A/C.

Also like said before, starting the car for a very brief moment will prove or rule out the CPS. Do this when the car is cool too and have a set of jumper cables handle just in case.

With these things it is just trial and error.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 PM
ahjjones

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
ok, so you changed the belt, you changed the tensioner, you changed the water pump and when the A/C is on the sound doesnt change?

you couldnt pin point anything with the mech stetho either?
The sound increases and goes away with the rise of RPM's.

Alright so that leaves the top pulley, the alt, the ps pump and the CPS. Dont rule out your A/C though, the pulley is always turning.

To be honest, from the video the chirp was loudest when you went over to the A/C.

Also like said before, starting the car for a very brief moment will prove or rule out the CPS. Do this when the car is cool too and have a set of jumper cables handle just in case.

With these things it is just trial and error.
Exactly. Changed all or the previous owner has changed what is noted above. The sound is loudest when it's idling and almost goes away completely once you start accelerating but when you come back to a stop and the car idles it is loud as heard in the video. The alt looks fairly new, which is what lead me to the CPS. I'm going to try the brief start up and see what I can hear that way.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Sounds like the AC bearings but that's just me. Not had that chirp.

Quick Reply: Help needed diagnosing a chirping noise in the engine bay!