V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Aftermarket CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 02:38 PM
DigitalTrixx

Default Aftermarket CAI

Hey guys.. I got an aftermarket CAI from American muscle, that just replaces the airbox tubing basically, it uses all the same sensors. My registration is due soon and I need to get it smogged. Will it pass?

I live in california.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/muv6coairins.html

Last edited by DigitalTrixx; 05-04-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:08 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

you may have to reinstall your original if that does not have a "c.a.r.b" sticker. I'm not entirely sure cuz I don't live in a sucky eco state but I have seen other cai's with the sticker.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The AM CAI does not have a CARB number as far as I know.

Just put your stock intake back on before smogging and you will be fine.
A CAI wont make you fail smog though, just inspection so if you have a laid back shop owner that knows that the CAI wont make you fail the sniffer test he/she might let it slide.

But if you have the stock unit, save yourself the possible trouble and just put the old one back on.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 AM
robb15033
2nd Gear Member

Will not effect anything mechanically, just visually if that's part of the testing. Did you stick a 3.5" K&N filter on the end of it yeta? Good times-
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Drumzer21

I live in California and i was told that all cold air intakes even with the CARB sticker arent legal and stuff so basically i would switch it... infact autoshops around here dont carry the CAI that goes in my car... kinda irritating.

does it add alot more power? or is it just a luxury that barely changes it?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:21 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Really, it doesnt do a whole lot for you.
You have other restrictions in the intake and heads that need to be cleaned up first before a CAI would make a very large difference.

A drop in K&N cone filter is just fine and gives you a little more power, but not that you can really feel unless your old filter is 100% dirty.

You might check into the throttle fix, make sure your throttle blade is opening all the way when the pedal is pushed all the way in. There is a write up how to do it if you have the problem.

If you dont mind switching back and forth when you need to smog then the best CAI that you can do is actually a combo mod.

Its call the "Windstar Intake"

The kit is a little pricey but it works really well. Its about 7rwhp and 15rwtq and it takes some weight off the top of the engine and provides a cooler intake charge.

VAP Auto is the one that sells it, here is the site.

http://www.vapauto.com/windstar.htm

Being that its a Ford OEM intake from a 96-98 Windstar you can pass inspection with this if you have a stock looking intake tube on it, dont ask me what would work though, have no clue. If you run a F150 4.2L CARB legal CAI that has been slightly modified then you will pass then.

As for the shops not accepting CARB numbers, thats BS. CARB = California Air Resources Board.

If they say a product is legal for use in California and give it a number that says so, it is. Dont let some shop tell you otherwise because they are just trying to make money from you.

Anyways, imo if your going to do an intake right, do the VAP windstar kit.

Also at this point I strongly urge anyone that is doing this to at the very least, port their lower intake or buy one and port match the heads. The heads can be port matched while still on the car with proper prep, I have a write up floating around somewhere on how I fully ported as far in as I could while the heads were still on our new motor. No shavings anywhere.

So at the very least, VAP kit + ported lower.
Very Best, VAP kit + ported lower + ported heads either DIY or bought.

Its a lot better than a CAI that pretty much just adds a little extra exhaust note and intake whistle.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM
V6Stang93
1st Gear Member

Hey Neo can you point me towards that porting write up? After I put in a t-lok my next mod is going to be the windstar intake. I've considered doing a porting job myself but i just haven't found a good enough write up to feel confident about doing it. I definatly wanted to buy one later down the road, but if I can do it myself im all for it now.