V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

shaving off weight from power steering bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 AM
chavostangV6
1st Gear Member

Default shaving off weight from power steering bracket

i read a few subject on doing this. but no leads on what or how much to take off. and pics from someone that done this plz let me see how it was done.

p.s. car is still done and apart. so might as well take pounds off whil i can be for it runs.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:09 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I think what you are looking for is getting rid of the power steering and replacing it with a manual rack. Search for that and you'll get more answers. It's not actually 'shaving weight' off the bracket.

And just a thought, this step will make it a pain to drive on the street and I'd only suggest it for a full on drag set up.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:05 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

when I removed my p/s system I literally took weight off by cutting unnecessary metal off of the bracket.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:25 PM
chavostangV6
1st Gear Member

so.... manual steering is for drag only? and also alot of old school machanics said that it was bad operation, which cased alot of crashes back in the day and why they swaped for powersteering? want to keep car streetable.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:17 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yes, it's mainly for drag racing only. Power steering makes it easy to drive cause it uses hydrolics to pressurize the steering components to make it easier to drive. Removing all of that shaves off a lot of weight, however isn't practical for a street car. It vastly limits a drivers range of motion when turning at slow speeds.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 PM
chavostangV6
1st Gear Member

I'd rather keep the power steering and shave off, and make it nicer. removing sharp edges. keep busting knockles when i worked around that area.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The bracket can be lightened but take into mind that you are weakening the bracket.

Remove weight from the bracket only in area's that are not directly linked to the mounting of the unit to the block, alt and PS. There is very little you can do before you cause unwanted flexing, possible cracking and throwing belts.

It may not be worth it at all, but they are cheap and its worth a shot if you have a backup.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 AM
chavostangV6
1st Gear Member

hmm yeah that what i was looking for. think ill just polish it up abit instead.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

Could you replace it with a sheet metal piece? Might need custom made, but it'd save weight over the cast piece with some good engineering
Old 06-23-2012, 04:21 PM
chavostangV6
1st Gear Member

yeah someone did that, read it somewhere, had problem with flexing. but was thinking of metal from an old engine like a 69 351w couger brackets looks like a good start.

Quick Reply: shaving off weight from power steering bracket