V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Bought a 2000 V6 BIG problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:23 AM
DjBootleg813
1st Gear Member

Default Bought a 2000 V6 BIG problems...

Well let me just start off by saying this is my buddies car and he is new to Mustangs let a lone cars... This is his first lol.. I have a GT and LOVE Mustangs so I convinced him to buy a Stang instead of a POS foreign car.. Anyway its a 2000 V6 Mustang 5 Speed... You can tell who ever tried to work on the car didn't know what they were doing however when him and I went to purchase the car I drove it because he can't drive stick yet. I drove it and it drove decent.. Not like my GT but decent lol =P anyway as soon as he paid and they left... The car wouldn't start up -_-.. The dude said he's been having problems with the "fuel" so I'm pretty damn sure the fuel pump went out because there is no noise coming from the gas tank area when you try and start the car.. It originally the car cranked but just never turned over like it wasn't getting fuel.. So we towed it to my house.. Earlier tonight after work we tried the old starter fluid in the intake to make sure it actually was the pump before we purchase one and replace it.. After a few tries it ALMOST started but died out. So I put some more fluid in and tried again.. And thats when a very loud horrible scrapping sound came from the engine when I tried to start it.. Seems like the belt tries to rotate to start but then like gets caught or something.. Or maybe the starter IDK.. Never had this problem.. Anyway I took a video of the noise so any ideas would help.. I appreciate it guys! Much love...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGN52...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Well seeing how the WP pulley turns over 1/2 turn and then surges but its still trying to start it sounds like the starter may be chewed up or the ring gear on the flywheel is missing teeth.

It is a really short vid and the quality isnt the best but it also looks similar to something that I hope it isnt, hydrolocking.

It wouldnt want to turn over at all if it was, but in some cases it does just a little bit and stops again. I have gone through this a couple times before with head gasket problems on singleports but never a splitport. That doesnt mean a splitport cant blow a head gasket though, its happened, just not as much as the singleports.

Have you checked the flywheel and starter yet? Make sure the teeth and gear is in good shape and make sure the bendix spring allows the gear to engage and disengage.
Have you checked for fuel pressure at the fitting on the fuel rail?
Have you checked the inertia switch?
Have you checked for spark and inspected the plug wires, plugs and coil pack?
Have you checked the oil to see if its milky?
Have you pulled all the plugs?
Have you pulled the plugs, pulled the fuel pump fuse and tried to free turn it with the starter?

These things will help you figure out what is going on.

btw, change the fuel filter, its a must anyways once you buy a Mustang.
Your old fuel filter could be so clogged up that nothing is getting through.

Just make a checklist of those things to check and go over the list and rule things out.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 06-17-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Very short video. In the video you can see the alternator spinning but the large pulley on the left there only turns a bit then nothing. It looks like the belt is loose.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

If you watch the alt pulley it is not making full revolutions, it too turns a bit and then jogs back and forth.

Any update on this stang?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

put some masking tape on your spark plug wires and mark them 1-6 so you know where they go when you put them back on and pull the spark plugs out then try to turn it over a few times. Put the battery on a charger while you take out the plugs... Just give that a shot. Replace the fuel filter.
when you replaced the fuel filter and after you turned the engine over without the plugs in it then go ahead and start the car, if it still makes that sound and still wont start then stop, take it to a real mechanic and not to a buddies house before it gets messed up even more.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

I'm working, so i'll have to check out the video later, but the fuel pump can be checked by disconnecting the inirtia switch in the trunk and running power to the wires (I'll have to chekc the colors when I get home). I had a bad fuel pump that worked intermitently (all the way from Georgia to Pennsylvania and then back!) then it took a crap and bearly worked well enough to pump the tank dry. Not as bad of a fix as I expected, look at the gasket by the fill tube into the tank and see if it needs replaced too, no time like the present. It was $30 at the ford dealership. From the descriptions on the sound I would guess it's a bad starter gear or ring gear. You can pull the starter and look it the starter gear, thats an easy fix. For the ring gear, manually crank the motor and shine a flashlight to see if any part of the gear is ruined. If so replace it, maybe do the clutch too while you have it apart. If you can't manually crank the motor, then you'll know there is something binding internally, thats bad.