V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Intake and Exhaust package for a 2004 3.9L v6 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 AM
xtremegamer1000

Default Intake and Exhaust package for a 2004 3.9L v6 Mustang

Ok, so I got my 2004 40th anniversary competition orange mustang convertible 2 years ago when I turned 16. It had low miles and after 2 years of driving it only has 53xxx miles. I feel it would be worth it to upgrade the car as after all it still is in great shape and will last a good long time. Some of my exterior modifications I'm going to do is change out the tan convertible top for a black one, smoke out the front lights and tail lights, black out the rims, and potentially repaint the car the same color as it had a few scratches on it as I like the special competition orange color of the year (and keep it original) and paint the scoop area on the car black. That will all match the black leather interior the car already had and the black on orange look would go together nicely. Besides the upgrades to the looks, I'm wanting to upgrade the performance as well. My car's engine is the rarer 3.9L instead of the 3.8L. I was thinking of putting in a cold air intake to up performance, and was wondering if there are any systems that stand out as better, and what kind of hp upgrade could I get out of it? Also, I was wanting to upgrade the exhaust as well. My grandpa had duel exhaust put on the car when I got it, I'm guessing the tips are 2.5 inches big or so. I dont know what kind they are, but as for sound it isn't very loud. I don't know what creates the sound so could someone explain that to me? Also, I've heard YouTube videos of Flowmaster 40s in a v6 and I like the loud sound they make. But I also like more of a racing sound as well. So does anyone know a good exhaust system that is loud and has a racing sound for a v6? Or are Flowmaster 40s pretty good at this, especially for the price. I understand a v8 has more of a purer sound but just wanted to hear some of ur advice. Also, I'm thinking my exhaust is straight through. Which leads me to another question of what are all the different pipes like I've heard of x and h pipes and what do they do and would any particular one help sound and or performance? I know that's a lot to ask but I would appreciate it if you can explain to someone like me who knows little about this stuff. Thanks a lot!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:40 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

For the V6, adding a cold air intake will only really clean up under the hood. Expect minimal gains from it.

For the exhaust, again on an N/A (or minimally modded 3.8L), adding a dual from behind the cats is about it without spending a LOT of money. If you like the sound of the Flowmasters, go for it. I personally like the sound of Split-Case Sportsman (SCS) mufflers from Spin Tech.

The X vs H isn't really an issue for the 3.8L, it's an even firing engine, so the mid pipe doesn't have an impact on flow or tone really.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:09 PM
xtremegamer1000

Ok after reading into this more I was thinking of this set-up for exhaust: Long-Tube Headers, Off Road H Pipe, and Flowmaster 40s chambered mufflers, with 2.5 inch tips. This setup would have no cats. I've read H pipe have more of a muscle sound than x pipes and h pipes go together better with chambered mufflers. Anyone use this setup? And do u think this is an effective set-up? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:55 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

On a V6, keep the cats. Removing them will hurt your low end power, and these cars lack that enough already.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Also DO NOT tint the headlights, you will regret it. It kills visibility.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM
xtremegamer1000

Ok so don't tint the front lights, and should I get a catted h pipe then? I'd like to keep the long tube headers though or will I have to get rid of them if I go catted?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:57 AM
xtremegamer1000

I guess I was wanting to go catless as because it sounds better over performance and I've heard going catted kills the sounds, unless it is just that bad to do so? I've seen a few exhaust clip videos on YouTube where they all are catless.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:59 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Did they rev or just idle? At idle, they are ok. As soon as you hit the gas, they sound like rice.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

No cats on a v6 sounds terrible, easiest and cheapest thing would be get your long tubes installed and have a shop fab you a custom cat back, I have an h pipe an love it. I have been told x is raspy on a v6 but have not heard one in person
Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

YouTube drowns out the raspy-ness. Plus you legally need your cats.

Quick Reply: Intake and Exhaust package for a 2004 3.9L v6 Mustang