V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Painting factory wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 PM
joey2000srs
1st Gear Member

Lightbulb Painting factory wheels??

I've been thinking of painting the factory wheels on my 2000 v6 stang. The wheels are awefully ugly and kill the fact that the car is awesome. These wheels are the silver alloy, 3-double spoked wheels. Meaning dual spokes going in 3 different directions. I was thinking of painting them black, the color of the car. Does anyone know or has known anyone who has painted these wheels?? How did the wheels come out?? Any special paint to use?? Any specific procedures??

Thanks a lot
Old 11-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

I did the same thing to my honda when i was 16. it turned out great. I dont recall using any special paint like high temps b/c i rims didn't get too hot. Not enough to melt the paint at all.

I remember cleaning them really really really good. then put index cars or tape the edges and applied 2 coats of primer, a few coats of paint, and a few coats of clear coats.

NOW YOU HAVE MANY OTHER OPTIONS!!!!

1) check on youtube for plastic-dip.
2) vinyl wrap them

research pros and cons of each and decide.

I like the vinyl wrap b/c there are lots of designs and when you apply it, it will be CONSISTENT in colors, while plastic dip or paint might run IF you're not familiar w/ spraying from a can or didn't clean the rims well enough or didn't wait for the paint to dry.

Oh yeah, vinyl wrap and plastic dip can be taken off if you dont like them, paint is a bit harder.

they all cost about the same by the way. <$30

good luck, let us know what you decide to do. can you post some pics too?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:03 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

My biggest suggestions are:
-Clean clean clean.
-Then many light coats of paint. If you do fiveor six light coats it will look better and last than 2 heavier coats. Take your time doing it. Don't rush.