V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

For the performance of the V6, what is the first thing I should do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Default For the performance of the V6, what is the first thing I should do?

I'll probably get a dual exhaust (bolts on Y Pipe, no X Pipe nor H)

I'm sure that doesn't gain me any HP. Anyway, what' the first thing I should do to start "tuning" up the car? I want to play around with it, and see how much I can build this car up too

Cold air intakes? Do they really work or are they just for show? What do you think about the 'Windstar Intake'?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Cold air intake is all show, no go. How much are you looking to get hp-wise? How much are you looking to spend?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM
3.8Cobra
1st Gear Member

The cold air intake is deffinly one of the first things to do. I actually got a cheapo one from Buy.com and it makes one hell of a difference. You'll gain about 10-15hp and you'll notice a deeper exhaust sound. Plus a bit of better gas milage

On the Y-Pipe, get the flow masters. I'm getting mine soon but I am debating about cutting the mufflers off and replacing them with the single chamber super 10's. Your engine will breath a bit better so you'll get about 15hp from that. Then I recommend getting either a BAMA or SCT tuner and use one of the pre-loaded tunes. Thouse make a difference. Don't mess with throttle bodies or under drives though, i've been told too many times that they make no difference.

Another thing is look into getting a GT rear-end. The v6's rear only spin one wheel. GT's have the limited slip, or you can just get a T-LOK.

That's all I can think of at the moment, hope it helps :P
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Broski if you think you gained 30 hp from changing the intake and the mufflers I've got a bridge to sell you.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

I'm willing to go at least 230-250HP (if possible)

How much am I looking to spend here? Or should I just go for a swap? Anyone here ever did an engine swap on the 3.8?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by MCR
I'm willing to go at least 230-250HP (if possible)

How much am I looking to spend here? Or should I just go for a swap? Anyone here ever did an engine swap on the 3.8?
Cheapest way to get to 230-250 range is a supercharger, plain and simply. A fully head/cam/intake swap with a more aggressive cam and head port job may get in the lower end of that range, but is very expensive and will not maintain that stock feel like the S/C will.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by 3.8Cobra
The cold air intake is deffinly one of the first things to do. I actually got a cheapo one from Buy.com and it makes one hell of a difference. You'll gain about 10-15hp and you'll notice a deeper exhaust sound. Plus a bit of better gas milage

On the Y-Pipe, get the flow masters. I'm getting mine soon but I am debating about cutting the mufflers off and replacing them with the single chamber super 10's. Your engine will breath a bit better so you'll get about 15hp from that. Then I recommend getting either a BAMA or SCT tuner and use one of the pre-loaded tunes. Thouse make a difference. Don't mess with throttle bodies or under drives though, i've been told too many times that they make no difference.

Another thing is look into getting a GT rear-end. The v6's rear only spin one wheel. GT's have the limited slip, or you can just get a T-LOK.

That's all I can think of at the moment, hope it helps :P
Sorry but this is 100% not true. A CAI will yield 0-3 rwhp, exhaust 1-5 rwhp. Tuner will average around 5-9 rwhp with a better tune.

You are 100% correct on the U/D pullies and TB and rear end.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

How much for the SC? It might be out of my budget at the moment
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

To get a V6 to 250 hp my guess at costs is around $5000
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daehawk
To get a V6 to 250 hp my guess at costs is around $5000
LOL, yeah no. Not worth it
What about getting an engine swap?

Quick Reply: For the performance of the V6, what is the first thing I should do?