V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Should I just give up on the 3.8 Mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Default Should I just give up on the 3.8 Mustangs?

Should I give up on making it fast, and just having it "look" fast?

I've put new rims on it, and it looks really nice, but man...there's just waaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much work to do to even get the 3.8 to its full potential. I own the New Edge, and I really want to do that M112 build, but it's just no use. I don't have the time, and there is not even a full kit.

Should I just say, screw it, and buy a GT ('11+)

I know I'll have to get a loan because I sure as hell don't have the money for it, and that is IF my credit is good enough. I think it sucks. Or should I just keep with this slow car for a couple of more years?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I’d keep it until you have the money for a new/faster/better one. Its paid for. Not having a car payment is always a good thing, in my opinion.

FWIW, I like the 3.8L motor.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Of course there isn't a full kit, it was never intended to be mounted on a 3.8

A re-gear will make a good difference since you will need a tuner as well to correct your speedo for the shift points if its auto. Exhaust, re-gear, tune, and depending on what tranny you have a shift kit will really wake it up. As well as suspension mods. That's what id spend my money on. Buy it all piece by piece and have it all sitting to install all at once and you will feel like your driving a totally different car.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:16 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

What gears do you recommend for someone with an auto?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:17 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

The usual recommendation is 3.73 for manual 4.10 for auto make sure you get a tuner as well because the computer controls the shift points based on speed, the tuner will keep your speedo right.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Wouldnt 4.10 completly eat my gas? i have crap gas mileage already. Does it increase Hp? i know torque improves a bit. Im trying to at leasr push this car to 300. how much money am i wasting here
Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
gennss
1st Gear Member

Do you want to have a fast car pre-built or do you want a car that can be tinkered with?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Where to begin?

4.10 gears are not a mod where fuel consumption should come into play, to clarify your gas mileage will go out the windows (down) with them.

HP and TQ do NOT increase at the flywheel by using gears rather, you offset some of the drivetrain loss so that more power gets to the rear of the car. Your Flywheel HP/TQ won't change but what you see at RWHP/RWTQ will go up.

If the car is paid for, why dump money into a depreciating liability by buying a new car? Especially if your credit is questionable...why is your credit questionable? (it's a rehetorical question meaning if you have bad credit, perhaps your decisions have gotten you there, save your money and spend it more wisely).

The only way to get an older stang 2010 and older to 300HP is usually with forced induction or nitrous or heavy engine mods (stroker motor).
Old 04-17-2013, 08:36 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

If you have the money for a 2011 GT then why in the world did you ask that question? Just saying, performance aside, new car > old car.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
If you have the money for a 2011 GT then why in the world did you ask that question? Just saying, performance aside, new car > old car.
Old car with title > new car with loan He said he would have to get a loan so he doesn't have the money, anything longer then a 36 month term is also a waste,

Personally I would just kind of go through the car and do some small updates to make you happy, i wouldn't blow 10 grand on it but some small things might help

Quick Reply: Should I just give up on the 3.8 Mustangs?