V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

installed the MSD coilpack last night

Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

Talking installed the MSD coilpack last night

it only took us about 30 minutes to install, the toughest part was aligning the one bracket that is grounded on the lower right screw mount - seriously simple install, 4 screws and 7 clips (including the mgmt clip)

other than that we had enough slack from doing the plugs/wires a few weeks ago to easily unclip/re-clip the wires and keeping them in order.

the car no longer hesitates or stutters - highly recommended part; bought from AM for $89

hopefully this will be a big help in the fuel economy department

we also dumped in a bottle of cataclean to get things all tidied up

Last edited by Toadster; 05-22-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:04 PM
3.8Cobra
1st Gear Member

Very nice, let me know how it runs, i'm getting my MSD coil pack next week.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:10 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Hate to tell you, but the only "improvement" you will see is that over how badly the car was performing with an old worn out pack. Basically you just brought the car back to factory conditions. Bright side is MSD does make decent long lasting parts, so that thing should last as long or a little longer than the factory coil did.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3.8Cobra
Very nice, let me know how it runs, i'm getting my MSD coil pack next week.
so far very smooth, less hesitant to move and seems to be much more 'perky' LOL - going to really be tracking the next couple of fillups...

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ryan96
Old 05-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Hate to tell you, but the only "improvement" you will see is that over how badly the car was performing with an old worn out pack. Basically you just brought the car back to factory conditions. Bright side is MSD does make decent long lasting parts, so that thing should last as long or a little longer than the factory coil did.
agreed, at 145k miles it was due to be replaced... now we have new plugs, wires, and coilpack
Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM
3.8Cobra
1st Gear Member

Mine needs a new pack, I don't think it ever was changed since I originally bought the car, and I know the previous owner didn't take care of it. And like I tell everyone, if I am going to get a new part, i'm going to get the better one. I'm also hoping that the pack is the reason behind the miss once I near 4,000RPM.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3.8Cobra
Mine needs a new pack, I don't think it ever was changed since I originally bought the car, and I know the previous owner didn't take care of it. And like I tell everyone, if I am going to get a new part, i'm going to get the better one. I'm also hoping that the pack is the reason behind the miss once I near 4,000RPM.
yup that sounds like our car - sometimes the pack doesn't completely 'fail' it just wears to the point that you're getting weak performance, not really a miss, but not as hot a spark as you should get...
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM
3.8Cobra
1st Gear Member

Humph.. Yeah, like I said, I hope it's just the pack. I was embarrassed when I lost a race against a damn dodge stealth because of that miss. ANYWAY!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 PM
samiamthemustangman
1st Gear Member

300,000 and no new coil pack. Plenty of other new parts. May be if we hit the million marker one of us will get a new Mustang.LOL Toyota did it.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 AM
zentin
Banned

is this a mod to increase MPG or it th elittle harness thing near the MAP sensor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: installed the MSD coilpack last night