V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

V6 mustang exhaust help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 AM
Griff1220

Default V6 mustang exhaust help?

First off this is my first time ever posting on this site, for the most part I've been REALLY into Car audio for the last few years, I've since decided to back out of the CA scene and begin putting my effort into beefing up my car.

Anyways, aside from exterior mods (wheels, pain, body work, etc..) I've decided its time to re-do my exhaust which, being from California and our stupid emissions laws, have made me a little confused on the route I should go.. So, heres where I'm at:

Basically, I have all stock exhaust with a single 40 series flowmaster and it sounds, well, stock.. So its time for something new. This is where I need help.

I want to do and H-Pipe thats a given, probably throw either my 2 flowmaster 40s on there (One thats currently on my car and another sitting in my garage from another vehicle) Or throw some flowmaster super 10 series mufflers on there as well. Thats my plan in terms of Cat-Back.

It seems as if my mustang has 4 cats (2 pre cats and 2 cats). What I was wondering is, how can I go about possibly removing any of these without throwing up a Check engine light or failing smog. The shop I go to doesn't look under the car so I'm not worried about them seeing it. They are pretty laid back, but if it tosses up a light or doesn't sniff clean they'll fail me. So could I possibly delete the pre cats? Or maybe the rear cats? And if I do remove the rear cats, where could I mount the O2 sensors that are currently in them right now and will moving them in terms of position along the piping cause them to not work properly? Or should I keep all cats altogether and pray the catback will beef up my sound?

Sorry if this is a noobish question, I'm new to actually modifying my car aside from bolt on mods and these CA emissions laws are tying my hands up. Anyone with ANY input whatsoever please feel free to post!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM
zentin
Banned

hey welcome to MF!! i also went through this a few months ago.

yeah most legit shops wont touch the cats, but what you could do is look into a exhaust system with high-flow cats, its a bit more but sounds a lot meatier.

otherwise if u remove a cat its most likely going to throw a check engine light. but with highflow cats u can still pass emissions and get a decent noise.

idk if this was a fluke, but i had a 2003 mustang v6 and all i had done to it was a catback flow masters exhaust sytem, and it sounded good, i mean Really good. so basically i had the stock 4 cats but not only did it sound very loud, it had a nice deep rumble to it too.

right now you got just the muffler so im guessing thats prolly why it sounds stock. but if you get the whole catback flow masters, or the catted high flow cat flowmasters exhaust system, it would sound much better. check out youtube for how other v6 stangs sound.

good luck!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:39 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

gotta keep the cats since your in ca! stock manifolds too! best bet just get a tuner & gears and stock gt fatback!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Griff1220

Originally Posted by zentin
yeah most legit shops wont touch the cats, but what you could do is look into a exhaust system with high-flow cats, its a bit more but sounds a lot meatier.

otherwise if u remove a cat its most likely going to throw a check engine light. but with highflow cats u can still pass emissions and get a decent noise.

idk if this was a fluke, but i had a 2003 mustang v6 and all i had done to it was a catback flow masters exhaust sytem, and it sounded good, i mean Really good. so basically i had the stock 4 cats but not only did it sound very loud, it had a nice deep rumble to it too.

right now you got just the muffler so im guessing thats prolly why it sounds stock. but if you get the whole catback flow masters, or the catted high flow cat flowmasters exhaust system, it would sound much better. check out youtube for how other v6 stangs sound.

good luck!
The h-pipe true dual adapter from American Muscle is the first thing I'm planning on installing. I wonder if this alone will help increase the sound of my exhaust. I just hope those cats aren't THAT restricting to the point where any sort of catback mods won't help. Also, does anyone know if Hi-Flow cats are legal in California? If they're illegal but still pass the sniffer I'm okay with that, but if they don't pass thats where Im going to have trouble.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

In cal you will have to put in high flow cats to pass emissions. I doubt you will have to have the two upstream, but the two down stream cats are required.

As far as the rest you're on the right track.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

we're getting a custom H-pipe made tomorrow at our favorite muffler shop

the yellow line is where they'll cut (just before the Y-pipe, but after the cats)

custom pipe will be ~$80 and we got a catback flowmaster exhaust to mount for $50 - so hopefully under $200 for 15HP
Old 05-25-2013, 02:05 AM
Griff1220

Originally Posted by Toadster
we're getting a custom H-pipe made tomorrow at our favorite muffler shop

the yellow line is where they'll cut (just before the Y-pipe, but after the cats)

custom pipe will be ~$80 and we got a catback flowmaster exhaust to mount for $50 - so hopefully under $200 for 15HP
Thats EXACTLY where I plan on cutting as well, from there install h pipe then either do dual flowmaster 40 series or flowmaster super 10 series
Old 05-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Toadster
1st Gear Member

Here's our setup installed yesterday
Name:  TfKAr9n.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  93.8 KB
Old 05-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Toadster
1st Gear Member