V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Clutch questions

Old 06-15-2013, 10:06 AM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Default Clutch questions

I have a 2003 v6 with a manual transmission. My clutch is starting to feel like **** and I want to replace it. I'm looking at a RAM HDX clutch from American Muscle. A lot of clutches I was looking at said that they require a flywheel, so I was wondering if my stock clutch has a flywheel, if anyone knows if this clutch requires one (it doesn't say that it does or doesn't on the website, unlike most of the items I was looking at). And secondly, is there anything else that is recommended to be changed while I have the transmission disconnected and the clutch off? Lastly, any tips or recommendations that might save me some headache once I'm under there?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:20 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

A manual clutch has a pressure plate a clutch disk and a flywheel. The clutch disk has friction material on both sides and is what normally wears out first. The flywheel doesn't wear out per say but some performance clutches may use a non stock design requiring a new flywheel. There are also replacement flywheels designed for different racing type applications made. Replacing the clutch normal means you change the clutch disk and pressure plate. Its then normal practice to have the flywheel resurfaced and replace the pilot bearing and throw out bearing. If the miles are fairly low and the clutch disk is worn from not being driven correctly then you can just replace the clutch disk, resurface the flywheel, scuff up the pressure plate. The bearings are then a judgment call but always cheap insurance to swap out as they will not last as long as the clutch when its properly driven.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:37 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IronMan0002005
I have a 2003 v6 with a manual transmission. My clutch is starting to feel like **** and I want to replace it. I'm looking at a RAM HDX clutch from American Muscle. A lot of clutches I was looking at said that they require a flywheel, so I was wondering if my stock clutch has a flywheel, if anyone knows if this clutch requires one (it doesn't say that it does or doesn't on the website, unlike most of the items I was looking at). And secondly, is there anything else that is recommended to be changed while I have the transmission disconnected and the clutch off? Lastly, any tips or recommendations that might save me some headache once I'm under there?
Yes, all Clutches have a Pressure Plate and a Flywheel. They also have a Throw out bearing and or slave cylinder!

Give my CS team a call and they'll gladly point you in the right direction! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Old 07-23-2013, 05:35 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Ok guys so I have finally gotten around to doing this, but one of the walk throughs that I was reading said something about changing a flex plate. I don't remember having taken anything like that off when removing the clutch/flywheel, and my new flywheel doesn't say anything about needing a flex plate. Is it possible that my engine is internally balanced and the flywheel will have a neutral balance and I don't have/need a flex plate?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Flex plates go on engines with an automatic trans and the torque converter bolts to them.
You don't have a flex plate with a manual trans.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Yes, I figured that out with some more research and my car is back together today. But I still have the problem that I was having before I changed my clutch.

What I thought was my clutch, but I am now unsure of, seems to grab or slip (can't tell which) and it gets pretty jerky in first and second. Right before I changed my clutch, it grabbed (or slipped) pretty hard and it made a strange noise and the car wouldn't rev over 4000 rpm. So a few different people had a few different opinions, one that it was the clutch and the throw-out bearing had gone out and was keeping too much pressure on the pressure plate/flywheel/etc. and was inhibiting the engines performance. The second was that it was clogged cats restricting the airflow at higher rpm's. So I started to fix both of these and when I got the exhaust off it turned out that I had a HUGE exhaust leak right below the flange where the manifold connects to the Y-pipe, and a third person suggested that was why my RPM messed up. Well I have gotten all of these things changed, pilot bearing, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, throw-out bearing, and gotten everything in the y-pipe fixed, but the car still doesn't rev over 4k. Any thoughts?

P.S. Manual compression test showed similar compression levels in all cylinders.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I don't know where you got your info about the throw out bearing or pressure plate keeping to much pressure inhibiting the performance of the engine , but it sounds fuel realated to me.

Check fuel pressure, change fuel filter, air cleaner, clean maf , ? Any check engine light? if so have it scanned for codes.

Who ever gave you the idea it was trans related cost you a lot of time , money , and headaches.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:19 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Some other things could be the tps or ignition control module possibly even a failing coil pack.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Now as stated you have a flywheel, however it should be uninstalled, and brought to a machine shop to be resurfaced. You do not need an aftermarket flywheel. While nice per say, you don't need one.

Last edited by jthorn9; 07-25-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:11 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

That's not a flex plate , the flex plate is what the starter ring is attached to vs the flywheel on a manual. Flex plate is a rotating plate that the torque converter attaches to in an automatic.

I believe your thinking of the spacer plate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch questions