V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Aftermarket Stereo problems!

Old 07-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Greyshot
1st Gear Member

Default Aftermarket Stereo problems!

I know this is kind if a stupid question to ask but has anyone else replaced there stock cassette player on there 99 or 2000 mustang? I recently bought a new one to replace and after wiring everything up my sterio worked n functioned but didn't play through my speakers. I tried it on a separate speaker n it worked so I'm wondering if it isn't something to do with the stock CD player underneath the cassette player. Any help would b appreciated.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Hate to sound mean, but that's like asking, I pulled my old motor and put in a new motor and now it's not running what did I do wrong. It's a vauge question with no easy answer.

In short, you need to recheck your wiring. When you install an aftermarket unit you need to use an adapter harness, if you don't it won't work right. You also need to carefully follow the wiring diagram to ensure you're connecting the factory wires to the correct wires on the back of the new radio.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Greyshot
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input but not really. I did use a new adapter harness and wire it correctly. Like i said the stereo works and when I try the wiring out on a separate speaker it works. It just doesn't play through the speakers in my car. This isn't the first issue with replacing these cassette players either. I have read at least two other forums askin the same question, with the same issue, and same year of stang
Old 07-15-2013, 03:40 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Could it be the speakers are the wrong ohm?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

You need two adapters, one is for power to radio and signal to speakers but the second tells the factory amps to cut on and generally does not come with the adapter kits. It usually has to be purchased separate.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Greyshot
1st Gear Member

Ok guys check this out. This is the only way I found of wiring the speakers so they work. This is one of the plugs tht came out of the back of the cassette player. I just stuck the open wired in the connector. I was thinking I can just cut it off n use the corresponding wires. What do u think. Ill attach pics

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/q...ju4/null-4.jpg
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/q...ju4/null-3.jpg
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Just do yourself a favor and run new wiring. Hate saying that, but running new wires to each speaker straight from the stereo will bypass all your odd ball issues. Trying to get certain stereos to work with the factory system can be tricky at times.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Greyshot
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Just do yourself a favor and run new wiring. Hate saying that, but running new wires to each speaker straight from the stereo will bypass all your odd ball issues. Trying to get certain stereos to work with the factory system can be tricky at times.
Ya that's what I was planning on doin but i just cut that connector off n wired the radio wired accordingly.now all four of my speakers work. But one more question. Yesterday I had power to my hot wire but now, nothing. I checked every single fuse and everything. It's the only problem that holding me back from putting the the stereo in te dash. Do you know why it would go out all of a sudden or how to fix it. I really don't feel like running a hot wire from the battery.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:38 PM
zentin
Banned

Originally Posted by Greyshot
Ya that's what I was planning on doin but i just cut that connector off n wired the radio wired accordingly.now all four of my speakers work. But one more question. Yesterday I had power to my hot wire but now, nothing. I checked every single fuse and everything. It's the only problem that holding me back from putting the the stereo in te dash. Do you know why it would go out all of a sudden or how to fix it. I really don't feel like running a hot wire from the battery.
these things can be really tough and confusing. Can you go to bestbuy or wherever you bought your deck and ask them to install it for you? I think that will be the simplest and safest way to go.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

If you were hot and suddenly you have a dead wire that's because it's either shorted or damaged or isn't receiving a hot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo problems!