V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Wrecked Mustang - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:32 PM
myoung

Question Wrecked Mustang - Advice

Now that I finally did my master artwork of destruction on my car,
I'm thinking about rolling the bigboy out.

First I want someone else to help me look some photos over and see if its
even worth saving... first I'm thinking all I need is a new k crossmember and that would fix my main problem.

Now while I'm replacing my new k crossmember I'm going to pull the 6 out
And clean it inside out. If in my rebuilding stage I'm going to be paying out tons I'm just pulling the 390 out of my fathers amx and putting that in... what do you all think..

The point of this post is asking will a new k crossmember fix my problem you'llsee in my photo.

---> www.postimg.org/image/knta3b44h/
----> www.postimg.org/image/pf90h660x/
-----> www.postimg.org/image/wrjidvxyj/
Old 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

Looks like not only a k member but you will need the radiator support and everything else.

If you are looking to make it a project car I would look at getting a tubular k member / a arms and going from there. That will guarantee the room you will need and lighten it up.

Although we in the sixxer group like to stray people away from v8 engine swaps. Reason ranging from insane cost to legality issues you may or may not run into.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:51 PM
myoung

Thank you sir, now I knew about the front but think you for pointing the problem out.
Now whenever I get this new k crossmember would that mount up on the firewall like the stock
Or would I have to find another wrecked mustang n the back and chop the front off? Thanks again, love this place already
Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

the k member doesn't bolt to the firewall. It bolt in 4 locations, 2 bolt on each side are located behind the shocks and 2 smaller bolts are located on each side on the bottom bolting into the frame.

I figured I would add that as you say main problem but don't go into details.

If this is a play car only such as a track then the engine swap may be worth some fun but if it is just a street car then go with the 4.2/3 swap and boost it.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 PM
myoung

if she's going to treat me right, then she's going back in. Thank you again. So I'm going with your advise, should I just cut that spot out then or beat it back up and leave it be? Thanks and ill try not to take anymore of your time. The irst image where its bent. The old stock k member connected