V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Head gasket suggestions

Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 PM
99'PEGASV6
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation Head gasket suggestions

3.8l v6
Manual trans

SO... long story short, I blew my head gasket. and a person from my local forums is nice enough to help me install a new one. I think he's either a moderator or a long-time member, so I obviously I trust him andddd he's saving me tons of money. I love nice people. Anyways, I just graduated college so IM IN BETWEEN JOBS, and I really want to save as much money as possible, could anyone suggest any really cheap parts (i honestly don't care if it will only last for a year, because i'll have my career by then) - I'm desperate and in a hole right now

He said I needed

Blue devil head gasket sealer (temporary fix)
3 gallons of coolant

a new thermostat

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JET-Performa...90ba7f&vxp=mtr

Head gasket set/kit

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...9229_125100_0_

Head bolts

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...4_124015_6229_

Cylinder Heads
(NO IDEA WHERE TO START LOOKING! )

that's what Ive found so far, If you know any cheaper place to find parts or know what sites or places would have. I'm going to be spending money I don't have, but I dont have a choice at this point in my life. I really appreciate it guys, it'd be a great help if you could point me in the right direction
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 PM
99'PEGASV6
3rd Gear Member

Found this for head cylinders?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-MUSTANG-3...cff47c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F410-CYLINDE...fa8611&vxp=mtr

Last edited by 99'PEGASV6; 07-30-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Why on earth would you need to buy heads? Did the guy have them taken to a shop and tested for warping or something ?

I would just use the same heads.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Even if they have warped it would be way cheaper to have them machined flat than replacing them.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:18 AM
samiamthemustangman
1st Gear Member

Have them tested and possibly milled or know how to test them yourself.

Last edited by samiamthemustangman; 07-31-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Like the others have said, you don’t need to replace the heads. Unless they are cracked or severely warped, you should be able to have them milled down flat again and be able to use them for a very long time. Most machine shops should be able to do the job for you pretty quickly/inexpensively if you take the stripped down heads to them.

You could also save some money by picking up the parts from rockauto.com. They are way cheaper then auto zone, but you do have to calculate in shipping costs (which are usually reasonably depending on the part)

I would not use the 'Blue devil head gasket sealer’. Its garbage. You can’t fix a leak with a bottle. Just sayin’...

I would, however, add upper & lower intake manifold gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, valve stem seals & thermostat housing gasket if they don’t come with the head gasket kit.

If your valve cover gaskets are leaking now, you should replace them while your at it. You have to take the valve covers off to get to the heads anyways.

Last edited by petrock; 07-31-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:58 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Get the heads milled, use factory 99+ MLS gaskets and new hardware and good to go
Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 PM
99'PEGASV6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Why on earth would you need to buy heads? Did the guy have them taken to a shop and tested for warping or something ?

I would just use the same heads.
I'd buy them cause someone more experienced suggested it to me, thats why i'm coming here lol. he did not. I don't know what it takes for the heads to warp, Ive never actually drove with the head gasket "broken". So I assume it hasn't heated up at all for it to actually warp.

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Even if they have warped it would be way cheaper to have them machined flat than replacing them.
Good to know!

Originally Posted by samiamthemustangman
Have them tested and possibly milled or know how to test them yourself.
Well thats why i'm on here, as stated I have NO idea how to test them myself so I can't possibly just "know" how to test them myself. I'm sure you could expand on it. Whatever saves me money.

Originally Posted by petrock
Like the others have said, you don’t need to replace the heads. Unless they are cracked or severely warped, you should be able to have them milled down flat again and be able to use them for a very long time. Most machine shops should be able to do the job for you pretty quickly/inexpensively if you take the stripped down heads to them.

You could also save some money by picking up the parts from rockauto.com. They are way cheaper then auto zone, but you do have to calculate in shipping costs (which are usually reasonably depending on the part)

I would not use the 'Blue devil head gasket sealer’. Its garbage. You can’t fix a leak with a bottle. Just sayin’...

I would, however, add upper & lower intake manifold gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, valve stem seals & thermostat housing gasket if they don’t come with the head gasket kit.

If your valve cover gaskets are leaking now, you should replace them while your at it. You have to take the valve covers off to get to the heads anyways.
I'll definitely check out rockauto.com for some cheaper parts! thanks for the suggestion man.
Well I just need the blue devil head gasket sealer to last me from my house to his or his shop. (Not more than 30 miles) So thats why I wrote in "temporary".
As for the other parts to be replaced, I have no money!! lol I wish I could replace everything, but unless it's a necessity I just can't unfortunately

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
Get the heads milled, use factory 99+ MLS gaskets and new hardware and good to go
Link me? lol

Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys. I'll bring up the head cylinders with him. Considering i've never driven the car with the gasket actually "broken" - As soon as I saw white smoke, I had it towed. So I'm assuming my heads would still be good then.

As for replacing other things, unless it's a necessity, I really can't afford it at this point, though thanks for the heads up though fellas!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 PM
99'PEGASV6
3rd Gear Member

Went on to rockauto.com

Ive got a bunch of parts listed for Head gasket. Can anyone enlighten me on which one I should Buy?

and is the "set" listed at the bottom essentially the same as the auto zone one? because to be honest, i've got no idea what parts come in the set and/or what parts I need. I'm assuming I need a right and left head gasket along with 2 sets of head bolts. But i'm not too sure of the other parts included in the set are also needed. (Basically should I get the sets or just buy them separately)

Picture of rockauto.com (Headgasket search)

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps5e4c6071.png

Thanks again fellas!

edit;;------------------------------------------------------------------
Decided to use common sense and read the part numbers, and figured out that the sets were literally the same sets as the auto zone ones, just cheaper (same part numbers and everything) saving 40$ including shipping. Thanks for the suggestion, PETROCK

Last edited by 99'PEGASV6; 08-02-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99'PEGASV6
Went on to rockauto.com

Ive got a bunch of parts listed for Head gasket. Can anyone enlighten me on which one I should Buy?

and is the "set" listed at the bottom essentially the same as the auto zone one? because to be honest, i've got no idea what parts come in the set and/or what parts I need. I'm assuming I need a right and left head gasket along with 2 sets of head bolts. But i'm not too sure of the other parts included in the set are also needed. (Basically should I get the sets or just buy them separately)

Picture of rockauto.com (Headgasket search)

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps5e4c6071.png

Thanks again fellas!

edit;;------------------------------------------------------------------
Decided to use common sense and read the part numbers, and figured out that the sets were literally the same sets as the auto zone ones, just cheaper (same part numbers and everything) saving 40$ including shipping. Thanks for the suggestion, PETROCK
yep rockauto is really good for getting a deal and you cant go wrong with fel-pro gaskets they what almost every one uses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head gasket suggestions