V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

oil smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Mike Moran

Exclamation oil smells like gas

the oil in my 1994 mustang smeels like gas . its fuel injected v6 3.8 not throttle body . i purchased the car used just a few days ago . the oil had a strong smell of gas . i changed the oil and added lucus also . not three days later my oil is smelling like gas again , i am very worried . it also has a prominate hesitation right when u start pressing the excellerator but clears up . i was told that it was the fuel pressure regulator . for one how do you verify that the fuel presure regulator is failing . i was also told that it could be a injector stuck open , but that seems strange to me because wouldnt the engine race if it was stuck open
i really could use some insight on this problem thanks in advance
Old 09-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Mike Moran

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Mike Moran
the oil in my 1994 mustang smeels like gas . its fuel injected v6 3.8 not throttle body . i purchased the car used just a few days ago . the oil had a strong smell of gas . i changed the oil and added lucus also . not three days later my oil is smelling like gas again , i am very worried . it also has a prominate hesitation right when u start pressing the excellerator but clears up . i was told that it was the fuel pressure regulator . for one how do you verify that the fuel presure regulator is failing . i was also told that it could be a injector stuck open , but that seems strange to me because wouldnt the engine race if it was stuck open
i really could use some insight on this problem thanks in advance
when i say hesitation when u press the excellerstor the engine seems to almost die like loss off all power then if you let off the excellerator it quikly revs back to idle , idles great , engine starts at about third rotation always .
Old 09-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Shashing

How many miles are on the car/engine? the rings could be worn out giving you low compression and blowing raw fuel into the oil. A compression test and injector balance test will give you an answer for those two.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:42 PM
stangant
5th Gear Member

I have to start by asking "what" for this comment "its fuel injected v6 3.8 not throttle body" ? you do have a throttle body....

A fuel injector open wouldn't "race" the engine, it would just flood the cylinder and probably contribute something to the issue.

I do agree you probably have a few worn out rings and are getting massive blow by.

What do your plugs look like?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

A stuck open fuel injector wouldn’t make the motor race, it would flood the cylinder and probably cause it to bog down sometimes. If the motor is running, the extra fuel would probably get blown out the exhaust port (and ultimately fowl the catalytic converter). But when the motor stops, the fuel will drain down the cylinders and into the crank case washing all the oil in the cylinder walls and on the crank away along with it. Its often called cylinder wash. This is pretty bad and can cause serious motor damage.

If you can’t return the car, I would get this fixed as soon as possible.

Good luck...