V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Run super rich and misfiring in cyl 6 please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Mustanggirl23

Post Run super rich and misfiring in cyl 6 please help

Hey everyone! This is my first time posting in this forum. I bought a 94 ford mustang 3.8L about 2 weeks ago. When I bought it, it was blowing white smoke and smelled so bad of raw fuel. It was dumping out of the exhaust. So automatically I knew it was a head gasket. I took the heads in and had them pressure tested and shaved. Picked up my gasket kit and head bolts. I put the car all back together hoping it would be fixed. Well, it's not. It's still dumping raw fuel and misfiring. I ran the codes and pulled the P0306 which is cylinder 6 misfire. I completed the compression test and all compression is good for all cylinders. So I went back through checking vacuum lines and everything looks good. It has new plugs and wires. I have done a lot of research and there are so many different things that people are saying could be wrong. I'm hoping someone has had this same problem an can shed some light on what avenue to pursue next.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:48 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

It sounds like a fuel injector is stuck open or leaking profusely , Scince your getting a code for a misfire on number 6 that is the likely culprit.

Check fuel pressure and see if it holds pressure or if it leaks down quickly.
A leaking injector will continuously flood that cylinder causing a misfire .

I would bet that if you pull the #6 plug it is soaked with fuel.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

I'm gonna say coil pack, buy Motorcraft, the other brands cause problems. Head gaskets have nothing to do with unburnt fuel.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I was thinking the same as Ryan, change the coil pack.

It could also be a faulty injector(s) but the coil pack is a much easier fix and depending on the age of the car, wouldn't be a bad idea, especially considering you changed everything else and would cause the exact problem you're seeing.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Mustanggirl23

Default Still not fixed

So I swapped injector 6 and 4, drove it and read the code it pulled. It's still a cylinder 6 misfire. Then I changed the coil pack cuz I have another one And I'm still having the same problem. I have been told it could be my computer but I don't want to throw parts at this. I will do a fuel pressure test this evening after I pick up a tester and try that. I did also replace the fuel pressure regulator an nothing changed. I have been checking over wires and hoses to make sure none are pinched or shorting out.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Why don't you read what 2 of the most informed people on this site have already told you. Misfires have nothing to do with fuel. They have to do with fire, i.e. spark, i.e. coil pack.

You are wasting money doing dumb **** that has nothing to do with the issue. Computers don't go out unless they get wet or physically hit/crushed. Any mechanic who says that should never be trusted, because he is a liar
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Exactly, change the coil pack, odds are that's where the problem lies. Either that or you didn't properly gap the plug or got the wrong plug type, aka too cool.

As stated focus on the ignition as it's a more common area of failure than the fuel system.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Mustanggirl23

I'm not a mechanic and obviously do not kno everything about cars, which is why I'm here asking for help. Like I said above I do not believe its the computer but have had someone else tell me to buy one, which I'm not going to. I already purchased a coil pack(motorcraft as suggested) and spark plugs and wires. I wanted to kno if anyone has had the same problems and had an idea of what could be wrong. I appreciate your help and have done as suggested and my car is still not running right.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Ok with that stated make sure you purchased the correct spark plugs. Spark plugs have heat rangers from stock to hotter to cooler. If you purchased or was given the incorrect spark plugs or if you gaped them incorrectly you will have this exact problem.

I'd also look into changing the termostat sensor and the OBDII sensors. Either of these sensors failing will cause a rich fuel mixture.

Another part to look into is the ignition control module. Not a common failure point, but can cause the problem.

One last albeit very unlikely area of interest could be the MAF sensor. If this sensor fails or starts sending faulty info it will mess up the fuel mixture.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

All good suggestions but if it was any of that then it would not just be cylinder 6 giving him problems I would not think.

Quick Reply: Run super rich and misfiring in cyl 6 please help