V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Pushrod 5.0 to 99-04 V6

Old 12-03-2014, 07:50 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Be happy with your sixxer. I rock my little 4 cyl everyday while my GT sits in the garage covered up. I get asked all the time why I drive the 4 cyl when I have a newer v8 just sitting.

I like my 4 cyl more and I don't care what others think. Once my sixxer is put back together the GT will probably only come out once or twice a year instead the current 5 or 6 times.

When it comes to YOUR car that YOU are paying for, do what YOU want. So far no one on this thread has ridiculed your v6, we are just giving you a heads up to what you are in for if you persue the swap.
I'm not talking about you guys specifically but I've dealt with it on this board a few times, and other boards as well so it is just not just this board

Personally my first thought was to supercharging the 6 (procharger) and run on forged internals maybe have a supercharger and with nitrous (I'm aware the stock block won't hold up with this), but when I proposed to the idea I got way too many people giving me **** on it saying it "Why not build a GT with that money? Just get a GT" and bla bla bla...it's a never ending thing, and that's why I started considering swapping the V8 5.0 or 4.6 2V because the V8 does sound sexy lol, but I like the look of my car way too much to just sell it (not like I'd get much out of it anyway).
Old 12-04-2014, 05:22 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

All of us sixxer guys get that. My response to the GT guys is "Well why did you spend all that money on a GT, when you could of bought a cobra?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:39 AM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Good response haha!
Then should I just supercharge it? I heard that procharger stage II can give 300 rwhp

My original project was:
HR Lowering Springs
Longtubes, Mac or flowmaster catback and off road h pipe
Used 8.8 rear end and 4.10 gears because i have an automatic
Supercharger

And then build it to hold a 75 wet shot of nitrous
Old 12-04-2014, 12:02 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

If that's what you want and will make you happy, then do it.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:51 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

With your list of mods I bet you wouldn't even feel the need for nitrous, especially if its your daily driver. Also skip name brand catbacks and pieces and just buy the longtubes and have a shop custom fab from the headers back. Should run you about the same price and you can be more picky about how it will sound. X is more raspy and h is more throaty. Make sure they weld in bungs for o2 sensors. Personally i would buy 1 highflow cat for each side just to keep things all emissions legal and to try to prevent the o2 sensors from throwing codes.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:00 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

^this except I would get the matching mid pipe. That way you know it will match the headers. You can then bolt up any 99-04 GT catback exhaust.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:30 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Good idea BabyGT but I do want more power

300 on the wheels doesn't cut it. Too damn slow. Im obsessed with HP, torque and performance. I'll keep the 3.8 engine then. The v8 swap would have been awesome though. With the mods im going to put would have been far superior with the 5.0 or 2v 4.6
Old 12-04-2014, 01:52 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

High flow cats will not make any difference in performance, they will just keep the car "legal". They will not restrict the exhaust at all. And you do realize if you had done the 5.0 swap you wouldn't have even made 300 at the engine right? How much power do you think the old 5.0's have?? And I guess you're talking about the nitrous. If you are going to push boost plus juice you will need to install a built trans and rear. Anything less will not hold up.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:17 PM
MCR
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I didn't word that right lol
No I understand about high flow cats and the point you were making. I was talking about a supercharger isn't enough for me which is why I wanted to add some juice. I believe the stock block on the 3.8 can handle as much as 350...

If I decide to supercharge it + nitrous what do you think would be safe? 5-7 psi?
Old 12-04-2014, 05:56 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

It's not the block, and you say 300 to the wheels is not enough, yo will need a bit more than that at the engine to get that to wheels due to drivetrain loss, also its not the block to worry about, the v6 trans and a used rear wold last long at all at those numbers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pushrod 5.0 to 99-04 V6