V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Need Advice: Replacing Convertible Top

Old 07-24-2015, 08:45 AM
uberjewber

Default Need Advice: Replacing Convertible Top

My girlfriend has a 2004 convertible mustang that has definitely seen better days.
However, looking to try to get a little more life out of it.

The main problem is the top is pretty much shot. Worn out, holes, and back glass stitching is completely gone.

So I've done some research online but as never having owned a mustang myself I was looking for some first hand advice.
Is there a good replacement top I can purchase and install? I work on my own cars regularly so I'm capable of the labor, just need some instruction and guidance.

Looking for a Tan (Parchment?) top that comes without window as the glass is still intact.
I think the motor is out too but I've done no diagnostics into that as of yet. Was considering disconnecting linkage and just using it as a manual drop top for the time being.

TL;DR
Need advice for replacing convertible top. What to buy? Any good DIYs? What should I be aware of?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:44 AM
dngnmn

I had my top installed. Top cost just over $500. I paid an upholstery shop $500 to install it. I could have installed it, but shop was faster and came with warranty on work. E-Z ON top with glass rear window with defrost.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:51 AM
uberjewber

I'd rather install myself if I can to save some money but I'll see.

Where did you purchase top from? And what kind of top was it?
Old 07-24-2015, 10:16 AM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

Others have done it themselves. Use the search feature and you should find the same question was asked just last week. There is a video you can buy that shows you how to do it yourself
Old 07-24-2015, 10:31 AM
dngnmn

my upholstery shop buys directly from factory.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:44 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Oh my god don't do it lol you will hate yourself, it's such a pain, I did the top on mine, I've rebuilt dozens of cars, motors, transmission, from ground up, this was by far the worst thing I have ever done. It is worth every penny to have a shop do this. If you have never done this before be prepared for close to a thousand staples, serious, no sarcasm. Your going to need an electric staple gun capable of different length stables, as well as at least 3 days straight free of anything else but this if you have never done this before. And if you don't get it all lined up right, guess what, you gotta buy another top. They come untrimmed, you have to trim to fit, so if you mess up there's another 500 or so you will be spending for a new top. This is not just a simple remove and replace. You would be better off to find someone parting a convertible with a decent top and have them unbolt the whole assembly to swap over.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:57 PM
uberjewber

Even the KEE 1 piece top?
http://www.cjponyparts.com/kee-auto-...2004/p/CTO8-V/
Old 07-24-2015, 03:11 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Still same amount of staples and trimming but if I had to do it all again and knew I was installing it I would for sure get a one piece, getting the window to line up with the rest of the top took a whole day alone. If you do it yourself, quadruple measure everything. I cannot stress that enough, make sure you have a few days straight to devote for it, and a garage or car port incase it rains. You will not get it done in one day. When you start to get frustrated at any of it, and you will, just walk away and breath, watch TV for a few. You do not want to rush something and regret it. Once you get it all together it's going to be tight. You will need a few friends to help you close and latch it the first time, then do not open it for about a week so it settles in to the right shape.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:49 PM
uberjewber

Definitely appreciate the warning and advice.

Still considering it all but leaning towards tackling it and just being patient and methodical.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Sawfish

I have a 2000 and the stitching is coming undone on the driver's side seam near the rear window. This car has been garaged its entire life and has 75K miles so the top is in good shape. I am thinking that I can get an upholstery shop to restitch the seam. Has anyone ever tried this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Advice: Replacing Convertible Top