V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

V6 drift build thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:40 PM
Rory Fraser

Default V6 drift build thoughts

Hey guys so i want to star drifting and yes i know the mustang isnt a good drift car but im not letting that stop me all the good drift cars around me are priced ridiculously like for ex a 240sx is $5500 for one with like 250,000km(Metric) and a little bit of rust so right now the only mods i have is 3.45 gears cai and thats it my mustang is up to date fully in maitnence except for the fuel filter which i will do on the weekend ill list my build which will cost me 2500 from american muscle basically i want to know if this will work or should i sell my mustang and buy a different car thanks and if im missing things just let me know this is my build hopefully all these parts will turn my v6 into a drift car

sr performence sway bar kit
new prothane total bushing kit
max moto subframe connectors
sr performence strut tower brace
New front control arms
sr performence complete rear control arm kit
sr performence coil over kit
sr performence caster camber plates
Old 01-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Reduce as much weight as you can, especially in the front. A tubular K-member would be a good addition to your list.

You're also going to want more steering angle. Your new control arms need to allow for this. I don't know how much angle can be achieved with the stock steering rack; you might have to do something there as well.

I'd also recommend getting LSD in the rear diff. The rest of your list looks pretty good, though. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in soon.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Rory Fraser

thanks ill add the k member to my list im thinking ill stay witht he open diff till i get better then i will weld it then after that im going probably buy a gt rear end because its stronger and comes with a lsd also i just rebuilt my rear end so im not wasting 800 dollars lol so ill hold off for a bit
Old 01-29-2016, 01:01 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

I found a build list for a Fox drift car here. SN95s have a lot in common with the older cars, so it's a pretty good resource. For one thing, I noticed SN95 A-arms are part of his build, so they should work after all, with the proper modifications.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Wouldn't you need a lot more power to spin the rear wheels and get them going around? Ken Block's Fiesta is 600 hp. His Mustang is like 850 hp and all wheel drive.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:28 AM
Mignav001

Originally Posted by Daehawk
Wouldn't you need a lot more power to spin the rear wheels and get them going around? Ken Block's Fiesta is 600 hp. His Mustang is like 850 hp and all wheel drive.
drifting doesn't necessarily mean you need a ton of power... but it does help. One of my buddies Co workers has an 01 sixxer that he takes out to drift over here at Sonoma raceway every now and then for fun. but if you want to do it with the big boys then a lot of things come into play, and while power if pretty high up on the list I'm sure suspension is even more important.
I don't know where your located. but around here you can pick up a 350z cheap and those are pretty fun drift cars, and they are popular in that area for a reason... As much as I love the Mustang and all, but I think it'll be a sick project once it's done, if you do go through with it

Last edited by Mignav001; 02-01-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Rory Fraser

YA ill think about it i dont know if i want to drop 2 grand into my mustang sure it would be cool but i get made fun of enough at school for buying a v6 even though i wasnt allowed to buy a gt the 350z is a good idea thats what i was planning on buying next they are around 8000 for a decent one where i live i would have to save for a year or two but it would defiantly worth it
Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Mignav001

Originally Posted by Rory Fraser
YA ill think about it i dont know if i want to drop 2 grand into my mustang sure it would be cool but i get made fun of enough at school for buying a v6 even though i wasnt allowed to buy a gt the 350z is a good idea thats what i was planning on buying next they are around 8000 for a decent one where i live i would have to save for a year or two but it would defiantly worth it
do whatever you think will work, but there are always risks with buying a used car and having to sink money into it. Don't let people hate on your ride, more often than not the people who make fun of you for buying a v6 don't have anything much better
Old 02-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Rory Fraser

ok thanks ill think about it my mustang is in extremely good condition body is 9/10 only a few chips and few scratchs has only 80,000 miles on the motor brand new rear end gears 3.45 all fluids and filters are done except the transmission basically all general maitnence is up to date and it still has a 1 year warranty on it i paid 4,200 everyone said i over paid for it but i dont think so for the condition its in and the ones i looked at for 3000 were S*** and had over 110,000 miles on them so if i kept the car it would last a long time and its up to date so i can start modding it right away if i wanted to make it into a drift car
Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Hell in 2010 I paid $6400 cash for an 01 with 100k miles and a salvage title simply because it was spotless and beautiful and had all the mods I didn't have to buy myself already on it. They disclossed the salvage reason and showed me to pics of the front end when it was apart. Could care less.They wanted 11k and I got it cheaper for cash on the spot. Other than the battery and alt its not been a problem until the window and that one fog light. All easy to fix if I ever get to it. Around here at that time a V8 was running 9-12k

I think I pay $24 a month for uninsured and liability. I was paying $52 for full coverage.

Quick Reply: V6 drift build thoughts