V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Lots of wandering (tramlining?) after installing cobra wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Dylan Mertz

Question Lots of wandering (tramlining?) after installing cobra wheels

Hi guys, im very new to this forum so thanks in advance for any help.

Alright, so i got new wheels for my car in an attempt to make it prettier and get rid of the awful stock wheels. After doing so the car has started to wander badly on the highway, but handles fine in town for the most part. I beleive the wheels are off a Cobra or a Saleen, they are seventeen inch rims with a 9 inch width. The front tires are nearly bald at the moment, im going to schedule an appointment to get new tires soon. If anybody has any input or suggestions on the matter i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:19 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

once you get new tires on the front report back, Id almost bet that's your issue.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Dylan Mertz

Alright thanks for the input, i'm going to take my mechanicaly inclined friends advice and get it aligned tomorrow, he said if the wheels have a different offset (which i'm almost positive they do) that it can throw off the alignment and i'l try to get new tires as per your advice while i'm at it. Hopefully one of those things or the combination of both will get the car driving straight again. i'l post back once i get that stuff done, thanks again for your input, man!
Old 03-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Dylan Mertz

also worth noting that i got excited when i saw "dawson" and "5th gear member" thinking for a moment you were a member of the tv show.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:27 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dylan Mertz
also worth noting that i got excited when i saw "dawson" and "5th gear member" thinking for a moment you were a member of the tv show.
Lol nope, that's my sons name. I been using that handle since 99 when he was born
Old 03-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Dylan Mertz

Default First Step

Took the car to an alignment/tire specialty stop. I didn't get a chance to drive it around a whole lot but it seems a little bit better i think. Tomorrow i have a 30 minute commute to work on the highway (PA route 81), which is where i was experiencing the wandering the worst, so i will post back again tomorrow and let you know if its been resolved, or at least improved. It is probably worth noting also that the mechanic said that one of my ball joints as well as one of my pitman arm ends had play in them. I told him not to change them as they wanted 250 dollars to do so (which admittedly is not bad) but i can do it myself for a fraction of that. SO if its still badly wandering, changing those out will be the next step i suppose.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:16 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Do you have wider tires on those wheels than your old wheels? Wider tires are going to want to follow the road grooves more than narrower tires.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Dylan Mertz

i do, they were 7s before and now they are 9 inches wide, and after doing some research i came to realize that they would be following the road grooves more than the originals, however i just feel like it is a lot worse than it should have been. hopefully when i go to work tomorrow i will find that it has improved. Thanks for your input, i appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

You're welcome. I have 275s on the front of my 99, and another set of wheels with i think 225s on the fronts and its very noticeable that I'm driving on the wider wheels with some roads.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Dylan Mertz

alright, right now it has 245's on all fours so i'l definitely have to keep that in mind then. I'm probably going to make an attempt to change the ball joint and pitman arm end, or was it tie rod end, ****. Anyway, i like to learn and i can probably get some help doing it, so i might as well try and see if it makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Lots of wandering (tramlining?) after installing cobra wheels