V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

rough idel with AC one, compressor not runing all time

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 AM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

Default rough idel with AC one, compressor not runing all time

So my car has been running rough with the AC on i read some and watched videos yesterday said to look at the compressor so I did and its not always running its cutting on and off. I'm not sure what is wrong.

when i checked with the car off and a meter on the low side it read 105 not sure this is to high i never added feon to the car so not sure how it could have to much in it?

I took off the pressure switch reply thing that is mounted to the round canister looking thing on the firewall
someone said to unplug and put a wire in to jump it but they only had 2 ports. and mine has 4 so not sure what to jump. when i had it unplugged the compressor didn't run at all.

thanks
Old 07-21-2016, 09:23 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Is the ac cold? If not then its low on Freon. the compressor will kick off and on over and over if its low. If its empty it wont come on at all. Its to protect it.

If it run or idle rough with the ac on or surges with it on check the IAC. Might need a good cleaning.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Epoweredrc
So my car has been running rough with the AC on i read some and watched videos yesterday said to look at the compressor so I did and its not always running its cutting on and off. I'm not sure what is wrong.

when i checked with the car off and a meter on the low side it read 105 not sure this is to high i never added feon to the car so not sure how it could have to much in it?

I took off the pressure switch reply thing that is mounted to the round canister looking thing on the firewall
someone said to unplug and put a wire in to jump it but they only had 2 ports. and mine has 4 so not sure what to jump. when i had it unplugged the compressor didn't run at all.

thanks
Are you using AC manifold gauges or just those dials that come on the can of Freon?

Regardless the gauges/dials are supposed to be read when the car and A/C are on. There's only a few instances when reading the low side with the car off will truly diagnose anything. Even then, you have to know what the values are from when it's running to be able to interpret them correctly.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:32 PM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

well i did it with it running also and it was still 105. the compressor comes on for a sec then goes right back off. yes it is cold air when the compressor stays running. i think it stays running while driving cause always cold but when i stop relight or park its cutting on and off. maybe the compressor is going bad?

here is a video

Last edited by Epoweredrc; 07-22-2016 at 03:39 PM.