V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Bad new radiator fans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:36 PM
Its hers

Default Bad new radiator fans?

Okay, wife's 1999 V6. Last month on a trip it was overheating. Checked and the fan motor was not working. (voltage at pigtail, fan not running). Make it home (freeway running not a problem, air movement kept it cool enough.)

Bought a new fan. Installed no problem. Fired up the car, turned on the AC and the fan came on... for about 5 minutes then went off. Thought maybe it was a sensor thing so I left it run for a while. In wouldn't come back on. Checked and yes there's still voltage at the pigtail. Reconnected and fan still does not work. Unplugged again and was searching some other stuff, still had voltage at the pigtail. After messing around for a minute or two, I plugged it back in, and the fan came on!... For a few minutes. Checked again and there was still voltage at the pigtail.

It seems if I left it plugged in, it would run for a few minutes then shut off (still with power at the pigtail) and not come back on. But if I unplugged it after it stopped, and left it unplugged for 45 sec - 1 minute, then plugged it in, it would run again for a couple of minutes. It did this repeatedly (at least 10 times.)

So I removed the fan and took it back to NAPA. Ordered a new one (of course it's not in stock, had to come from out of state...) Go back a few days later and get the 2nd new motor. I pulled it out of the box and went to spin it. "grind-crunch-snap" all in about 1/10 of a rotation. Okay so that one goes back and order 3rd motor (last one in NJ warehouse). So 3r one comes in and I install it and it's just like the 1st one I installed. Comes on for a few minutes and then shuts off, with battery voltage still at the pigtail. Will not come back on as long as remains plugged in, but if I unplug the pigtail for a minute or so, it would run when I plugged it back in, but only for a couple of minutes.

From all I've read in the mx manual and online, it seems this thing is supposed to stay on as long as it's above the required temp OR if the AC is on. And if there is power at the pigtail, that's it, right? If there's power there, the damned thing should be on?

Did I really get 2 bad motors (3 if you count the one with the internals effed up) from NAPA? Is there something I'm missing here?

I guess I need to take this one back to and get a refund and try ordering one from another vendor (different brand)? PITA! At least pulling and installing it are just about the easiest thing one can do on these cars.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:58 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Im guessing you are not replacing the fan relay? Might should. I got tired of fooling with this on my Trans-Am once and had it straight wired to the switch so that when the key was on the fan was on. never had another temp problem from the fan.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:16 AM
Its hers

I would think that if the relay were the problem, there would be no voltage at the fan connector pigtail when I check it. Am I wrong here?

Thanks,
T