V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Crank no-start 2000 possible PATS issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:40 PM
CrawlerChris

Default Crank no-start 2000 possible PATS issue?

Hello,
I have a 2000 Mustang that is my daughters car. She has not driven it yet as she just got her DL. I bought the car and it had only one PATS key.

Fastforward to today. I used FORscan to program the keys, kept having failures trying to program but it could see the keys. I erased the keys from PCM memory and installed the two keys (one new and the original) Once installed PATS system went from ZERO keys to 2 keys. When I turn either key on, the "theft" light illuminates for about 3 seconds and turns off. No codes for bad keys or anything.

When I crank it just spins over. A few times is started and sputtered and died instantly. I have no fuel pressure on the rail so I assumed fuel pump. Dumped, or tried to dump a little fuel in the intake and it did not start, but I did get a sputter/stall.

I used the "output test mode" feature in FORscan and it fires the CCRM up. Both high and low speed work (though I thought V6's only had one speed and I can't tell if the fan is faster/slower). In one mode it clicks and no fans run, I'd assume this is the fuel pump relay but I can't hear the pump running.

The last time I had the car running was 2 months ago, and I wish I had tried to start it prior to programming the PATS keys so I'd know for certain if that is the reason for the no start.

It was dark out by the time I got the keys programmed and the battery needed charged to even crank so most everything I did was playing in the dark.

Any ideas from someone who has gone this route? I'm hoping it is not the PATS system as I'm confused as to why with no theft warning or codes, that it would prevent the start.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:19 PM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

can you hear your fuel pump prime when you turn it on?

I just replaced my fuel pump more than a week ago.

https://www.facebook.com/diyfordmustang/
Old 12-07-2016, 09:38 PM
CrawlerChris

No I can't hear it but don't know if the PATS system disables the fuel pump on this car. Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to attempt to jump the fuel pump at the inertia switch and see if I get fuel pressure and possibly start up.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:39 PM
CrawlerChris

Ok, after work I messed with it some. I read that sometimes the PCM has to relearn the PATS ID from the PATS module and you must clear the KAM to get it to do so. So I cleared that and during so the theft light started flashing. Once the memory clear sequence was done, the theft light came on for 3 seconds and turned off. Cranked the car and it sputtered a half lick. I pulled the PCV vent hose from the intake and dumped gas down iin there. Cranked it and she ran for about 4-5 seconds.
Went to the back and checked the inertia switch and had 12v. Checked as best I could for voltage at the fuel pump driver, via wiring diagrams on google.

Finally pulled the new pump I bought as a spare weeks ago out and hooked it to the harness. Had the daughter cycle the key and it would run for a short spurt. Plugged back into the fuel tank harness and could hear no pump running or have fuel at the test nipple on the engine.
Don't know how but the fuel pump died just sitting there for 2 months?????????????????

I last moved it right before the hurricane showed up and only ran for a minute. Thinking perhaps I slurped some water into the pump from condensation and after it sat there for two months, it locked it up. That is my lame theory at least.........

I'll work on swapping the pump tomorrow after work. Lesson to be learned? Always try to start the car prior to programming PATS keys so you know if you broke it or not
Old 12-08-2016, 04:40 PM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

it's not the PATS and it's the fuel pump if there is voltage on the fuel shut off switch (in the trunk) and the connector near the trunk when you switch the ignition to ON position.

https://www.facebook.com/diyfordmustang/
Old 12-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Consider a fuel filter replacement too.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:11 PM
CrawlerChris

Well, I changed the filter a few months ago so I'll hold off on it now. It drove about 3 miles since the filter was changed, from my buddies house to mine. I had to swap the clutch on the car as I bought it for $300 with a busted throw-out bearing. He has a lift at his house so I towed it there, did the clutch and changed the manifolds while there. Also changed the plugs and the fuel filter so it would be less trouble when my daughter started to drive it.

Sadly I had the tank out once (on the lift) as the previous owner(s) had broken most of the evap vacuum lines to the tank and in the back of the car. I guessed at the time they did so for a pump swap and just lowered the tank without disconnecting the plastic lines.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:00 PM
CrawlerChris

Up and running! Both PATS keys function, the fuel pump was not. Installed the new pump and it fired right up. The tank level is reading way off but I had maybe 3 gallons in it. SHowing empty with the low fuel light on. I'll add more fuel and see if it is OK. The swing on the level gauge was not the same as the original one in the tank. If it reads a full tank when full that will be OK. It will end up showing out of fuel when it still has a few gallons, which will be better on the fuel pump.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:58 PM
V6dirtystallion

Default I have a 97 stang v6 that is have a pats problem

I have a 97 v6 stang that is having a pats problem i think. I had a locksmith come out and take the car out of disability mode and try to reprogram the keys but the car will not let it reprogram the keys any advice before i burn it to the ground