V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2003 convertible power windows not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:14 AM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

Default 2003 convertible power windows not working

Last week my daughters 2003 convertible drivers side window quit working. When you push the window button either up or down I can hear the relay clicking and the dome light dims slightly, but the window doesn't go. So, I pulled the switches out of the door to test the switches. When I was testing with my test light it started working again. A couple of days later the drivers side window quit working again. Again when the button is pushed I hear a slight click from the relay and the dome light dims slightly. I put my test light on the back of the switch, where the wires come out of the switch. When I put the light on the front wire and push the up button, the test light lights up. Same with the rear wire and the down button. SO, I went to the junk yard and picked up a window motor.
Tonight she said the back drivers side window is not working. Same thing, click from the relay light dims but window wont roll down.
The passenger windows work fine from the drivers door, just the drivers windows wont work.
Now I am thinking it is not a motor issue, unless it is a very strange coincidence that both motors would go bad within a week.
I am suspecting that the relay is good and the fuse is good because the passenger windows work. Is there a fuse for the drivers windows separate from the passenger windows? Any ideas where to start looking?
The good news, the windows are up. The bad news, the windows are up. That makes it harder to get the regulator out of I have to change the motor.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:56 AM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

well, I changed out the window motor on drivers side, it works fine now. I pulled the motor apart for a look and it was packed full of black dust from wear. The back seat window, I opened the panel and tapped on the motor and it works fine for now. I am sure it is only a matter of time.
If anyone is reading this, does anyone know if I can pull the motor off the back seat window with the regulator still in the car? The motor mounts to the regulator where it can be removed without pulling the regulator? Last year I was pulling the motor off of my expedition window regulator. Regulator was stuck in the down position, so when the motor came off and the spring unwound the regulator snapped and about cut my finger off. Many stitches later I decided maybe these things are dangerous. So, now I am cautious. If I pull the motor off with the regulator in the car will the spring unwind and cause a problem? Or will the window being closed in the track hold everything in place?
Old 03-18-2017, 03:24 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

No idea. I know about the tension on them so left mine alone. My drivers side has been broken for 2 years now. Lots of going inside for fast food and banking. Sucks.

Ive had to let my brakes go so long that the drivers side has been dragging for 2 months. The rotor is shot to hell and yesterday it popped really loud and puked all the brake fluid out . So now I have to drive with no brakes..or very little right at the floor board and the emergency brake used a lot.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

Usually when I have to replace the motors I try to do the regulator too for safety, but the cost was too much. If I can after I get the motor and regulator out of the car door (it has to be rolled down to make it easier to get out) I try to roll the window up before pulling the motor off. It puts less tension on the spring. Then after my expedition window I use a long extension and stand way back to pull the 3 bolts out, then I keep the regulator pinned to the ground with my boot and pry the motor off. Or I kick it until it pops off. Either way, I keep my fingers way back, don't need another ER visit.
I think that small back window will be fine if I pull the motor off without removing the regulator from the door, but I would hate to have a broken window if it doesn't work that way!
You need to get those brakes fixed! I have had that exact same thing happen before.
Interesting bit of trivia, back in the early 1900's there were states that had a law that when driving an automobile every driver had to carry a rope with a hook on it. That way if their brakes failed they could throw the hook out and stop themselves, or they could throw the rope out for pedestrians to grab onto to stop the automobile and prevent a runaway automobile! Maybe that would work? Carry a batman style grappling hook to stop with?
Old 03-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Would be cheaper thats for sure.