V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Mystery Part left over ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
honestly i have no clue tho
my dad is useless lol
Your dad is the Internet?!?
Old 04-26-2017, 05:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by BKT
Greetings... Hope someone can identify this part... I have been working on a 2002 Mustang convertible (steering rack, timing chain, water pump, starter, power steering pump, brakes)... Had a friend helping and he went out of town... This spacer is left over... didn't see it come off and haven't for the life of me been able to figure where it goes... Has a bevel indentation and a tapered outer edge of one side and a lipped edge on the other approx. a little under 1 1/2" wide with approx 7/8" center hole and approx 1/2" thick... thanks for any help
Steering rack mount bushing sleeve or maybe part of power steering pump pulley installer tool? It's not timing or brake related given the size of it.

Last edited by Derf00; 04-26-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 PM
BKT

My first impression was a steering mount bushing for the steering gear... the question is where it would go as there is only one and according to my manual and a printout from the parts department at Ford non show anywhere there or any videos I have found on YouTube... I even went so far is 2 go to the auto parts place where I borrowed the pullers 4 power steering pulley and harmonic balancer to see if they were missing any pieces in the sets none found missing
Old 04-27-2017, 02:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Hmm. Idk then. I guess if they car drives/sounds fine it's either not really missing and is from something else or whatever tool it belonged to will eventually show up.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 PM
BKT

Well I have put the car back together and it seems to drive fine after I had the Wheels aligned... it appears this will remain a mystery... where is Nancy Drew when you need her?
Old 04-28-2017, 06:40 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If every one is done guessing,,

This is the cam synchronizer alignment tool. It probly came with your timing kit, so you can make sure the cam shaft didnt move while you had it apart.

The give away is the little indented dot indicator showing position of the synchronizer/camshaft.

Its either for that or its some kind of timing alignment thing.

Last edited by dawson1112; 04-28-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:30 AM
BKT

Originally Posted by dawson1112

This is the cam synchronizer alignment tool. It probly came with your timing kit, so you can make sure the cam shaft didnt move while you had it apart.

The give away is the little indented dot indicator showing position of the synchronizer/camshaft.

wow... wish I had known that when I had it disassembled... but I took photos from different angles to make sure I placed sensor back in correct position... although it did change slightly that I would attribute to the stretch of the old chain... and was very careful not I move that camshaft... that makes me more at ease that I didn't leave something car thanks everyone I appreciate it
Old 04-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by dawson1112

Doesn't look like any I have every seen. The ones for the 3.8, 3.9 Mustangs look like this. http://www.americanmuscle.com/cam-sy...ol-9604v6.html

Unless the tool is meant to fit over that piece?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:26 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Doesn't look like any I have every seen. The ones for the 3.8, 3.9 Mustangs look like this. http://www.americanmuscle.com/cam-sy...ol-9604v6.html

Unless the tool is meant to fit over that piece?
Im not 100% sure of it, but its definitely a locator of some sort. It could have been intended to just be used to reference the cam before you put the chain on. It may have even been used to assist in getting the crank gear or cam gear in place. Either way its probly just for someones convenience.

That little dot on the outer facing side is what gave me a hint about its purpose. Now that I think about it, maybe it was even used to reference the steering shaft so that when you put the new rack in it lines up centered
Old 04-28-2017, 11:37 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BKT
wow... wish I had known that when I had it disassembled... but I took photos from different angles to make sure I placed sensor back in correct position... although it did change slightly that I would attribute to the stretch of the old chain... and was very careful not I move that camshaft... that makes me more at ease that I didn't leave something car thanks everyone I appreciate it
Im not 100% sure, but about 95% lol

If it was me Id go out and pull the cam sensor out and see if it fits just the sensor ,, not the entire synchro.