V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2003 V6 Mustang harder to start when warm.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:34 PM
VA-DMcF

Default 2003 V6 Mustang harder to start when warm.

Hi all I am new here. I bought a 2003 V6 for my son who is in high school. The boy is in love with the car. It was a repo, and in fair condition, so I got it at a good price. Previous owner appears to have spent more time on appearance rather than maintenance. It idled rough and had a slght miss, so I replaced plugs, wires, air filter, cleaned the MAF. It was also hard to start, and actually died once. My mechanic friend found faulty fuel pump and replaced it and the fuel filter. The car runs like a dream, except it is harder to start when warm. Starts 1st try in the morning, and first time if we make a quick stop like taking gas. But if he parks for a day at school, then in the PM when ready to go he has to crank two or three times before she will start
Turns over briskly, just does nit "catch." Once she starts, she smooths out after 3-5 seconds and is fine. I also notice a puff of black smoke on startup which tells me it's on the rich side. BTW I am not a mechanic, just a car owner. I replaced the CHT, as well as the coil pack, but no change. Help! The guy at Auto zone scanned the codes and it returned something like "misfire on 1st 1000 revolutions."
Old 04-09-2017, 04:54 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

It sounds like it may have a leaky fuel injector. Its leaking the fuel into the cylinder and when it starts up that little puff of black smoke is the result, it also lets air into the fuel rail and has to purge that out before it gets the proper pressure to start. Run some fuel injector cleaner through it for a few tanks and see if it starts to clear up

Search this Thread