V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2002 V6 Over Heating

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Damiko

Unhappy 2002 V6 Over Heating

Hey guys, I have a 2002 V6 mustang

I replaced my Spark Plugs and Wires
shortly after that my car started to skip and jerk

i called my mechanic and he was telling me i needed a new Coil pack
because my channel 2 wire broke off So there was no electric shocks to the spark plug so it may have caused the channel to burn out in the coil back

ok kool , after that convo i noticed i had a coolant leak, so i changed the lower radiator hose and drove about 3 mins up the street. on my way back my car started moving at turtle speed , i literally had my foot on the gas and was going no where , i pulled back up to the house and the car shut off on me TWICE finally i parked it and notice my overflow tank had cracked on the top, not sure why that happen, so now i have a vehicle that overheats
i really want to know the source of the problem any ideas or suggestions?
Old 04-28-2017, 05:41 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If the coolant res cracked Id say that your cap is plugged and not able to release the pressure of an over heated engine,

It most likely got hot because you didnt get all the air out of the system after you changed the hose.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:59 PM
Damiko

so what would be the best option in this scenario? drain the coolant out?
Old 04-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Damiko

or would it be my coolant temperature sender or my Engine coolant temperature sensor
Old 04-28-2017, 07:38 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

replace the res,

fill coolant ,

bleed the air out of the cooling system. On the front of the engine where you bypass hoses go there should be a bleeder you take out ,, you have to pull it out and keep adding coolant till it starts to come out of that bleeder.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

+1^ Proper coolant level is a critical first step in controlling overheat. A pocket of air can delay opening of the thermostat or even keep it closed. The thermostat needs to be in constant contact with coolant so that it can open on time.

Originally Posted by Damiko
I replaced my Spark Plugs and Wires
shortly after that my car started to skip and jerk

i called my mechanic and he was telling me i needed a new Coil pack
because my channel 2 wire broke off So there was no electric shocks to the spark plug so it may have caused the channel to burn out in the coil back
I don't know much about coil packs myself, but I remember hearing that bad plugs/wires can result in discharge problems that can cause a coil to burn out prematurely. So your mechanic might be onto something there.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:33 AM
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

I would recommend that you check your firing order. Did you replace the plug wires one at a time? Is it possible you might have got that wrong. I always go back to the last thing I did before the problem started in this case over heating. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Damiko

Just want to thank you guys, i replaced my coil pack , replaced and bled my rev/coolant
and the car runs smooth.... Now i have problem to where i cant fill my tank up now

thinking its a something clogged but not sure where to look first