V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2000 Mustang V6 stuttering low idle in gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 01:19 PM
1Austin112

Default 2000 Mustang V6 stuttering low idle in gear

Hello all,

So I bought a 2000 mustang v6 3.8 ( auto trans ) 2 months ago on it not being able to start for 350$. Low and behold it had a thrown rod through the bottom of the oil pan and destroyed the crank and pistons. Bought a junkyard complete motor for 375$ on the only thing wrong was milky oil ( boy was it milky ) Stripped it all down, new gaskets everything cleaned and put back together. I had some issues at first with it not wanting to crank and found out starter and alternator were bad, replaced them and very weak crank, Tq converter wasn't aligned and off a spine, Fixed that and now it starts but was real rough and would stall instantly when put in gear, Spent alot of time searching on this fourm and went to local pull a part and grabbed a new IAC, TPS, and MAF. just finished putting those in and it helped alot, It doesn't stall anymore but now when you put it in reverse or drive ( D 2 or 1 ) it will drop the rpms down to mid 500's and act as it wants to stall, when i let off the brake it jerks forward while still having a low rpm ( around 640ish ). Reverse doesn't jerk as bad and idle goes back around 750 or so and increases to around 1200 if i keep reversing. Park the idle when first starting is around 1100-1200 and after warmed up around 750-800 but jumps constantly between 690 at the lowest and 900 at highest, neutral around 900 or so. ALso the fuel pressure jumps constantly from 32-42 the entire time, While in park it stays around 38-45 but wiggles, never smooth. Anyone have any ideas on what i can do to get it smoothed out? Below will be a list of parts ive replaced... Thanks for any help

Spark plugs - NKGs gapped 0.54
Spark plug wires
Fuel Filter
IAC ( From pull-a-part )
TPS ( From pull-a-part )
MAF ( From pull-a-part )
Fuel injector pressure sensor ( From pull-a-part )
( Coil pack is stock, but tested and passed within spec )
No codes are being thrown, However on my reader it shows FuelSys1 - OL Im not sure why but Im pretty sure it shouldnt be in open loop the entire time?