V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Disastrous 2001 V6 Convertible Top Frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 PM
NikkiSax

Default Disastrous 2001 V6 Convertible Top Frame

Does anyone have the factory service manual for a 2001 Mustang which has the addendum on how to adjust convertible tops?

Last week my idiot neighbor decided to take it upon himself to close my convertible top (said he thought it was going to rain, but it was just another excuse (excuse #5,4378) to snoop around my home, lol) anyway, he bent the hell out of the frame and it won't even close now....not even close, actually.

I am desperate to figure out the proper procedure in order to at least ATTEMPT to fix it.

Thanks to all

NikkiSax
Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Easy fix. First get a baseball bat. Next go knock on your neighbors door. Then...oh wait you meant the car. NM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:49 PM
NikkiSax

Originally Posted by Daehawk
Easy fix. First get a baseball bat. Next go knock on your neighbors door. Then...oh wait you meant the car. NM.

The irony............I'm a nurse anesthetist, so the baseball bat is part of my uniform. (lol).

Seriously though..............anyone have the FSM info on how to adjust the frame?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:08 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

http://www.fordsunlimited.com/fords_convertible.html

Not sure how much that will help.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:34 PM
Brooksdesign64

First take out the back seat. Then unbolt the left and right pistons that are holding it position. This will at least allow you to freely move the top around in order to "bend" it back the right shape. It sounds like he make have popped the scissor action leavers out on one side. Compare the sides to ensure they match and are not binding.