Car won't rev past 4,000 RPMS in ANY GEAR!? - MustangForums.com

V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Old 08-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #1
Crayons

Default Car won't rev past 4,000 RPMS in ANY GEAR!?

Cars is a 2000 V6 Mustang (New edge)

I have tried doing research... I get nothing but results like "It's not gonna rev over 4k If it's not in gear" or something along those lines.

The car won't rev past 4k In any gear and obv if i'm sitting still... UNTIL the car is heated up and even then after a good bit of driving it will not rev past 4k unless you drive hard on it for a bit.

No I do not have any codes, but I can provide some first thing in the morning when I get up. Also the car does seem to idle "rather odd" I can't say it's a missfire though(prob is) until it's at what I would assume is a certain temperature of which I have to push the car to reach.
Crayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayons View Post
Cars is a 2000 V6 Mustang (New edge)

I have tried doing research... I get nothing but results like "It's not gonna rev over 4k If it's not in gear" or something along those lines.

The car won't rev past 4k In any gear and obv if i'm sitting still... UNTIL the car is heated up and even then after a good bit of driving it will not rev past 4k unless you drive hard on it for a bit.

No I do not have any codes, but I can provide some first thing in the morning when I get up. Also the car does seem to idle "rather odd" I can't say it's a missfire though(prob is) until it's at what I would assume is a certain temperature of which I have to push the car to reach.

So the car is stopped with the clutch in (I'm assuming manual by your description) or in Nuetral and you're reving the motor? Car has a free rev limiter on it (as do most cars on the market since the 90's). When you have no load on the engine and just reving it, if you keep reving it, you're going to float a valve. That means tearing the head/heads off and replacing the damaged valves and pistons.

That rev limiter is there to try and keep you from floating a valve.
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #3
Crayons

lol what are you talking about? I'm attempting to drive the car I thought that was obv by me saying..... The car won't rev past 4k In any gear and "OBV IF IM SITTING STILL"
Old 08-11-2017, 11:46 PM   #4
Crayons

lol what are you talking about? I'm attempting to drive the car I thought that would be understood by me saying..... The car won't rev past 4k In any gear and "OBV IF IM SITTING STILL"