V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

99 Mustang 3.8 v6 automatic

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:11 AM
Mustang Mary

Default 99 Mustang 3.8 v6 automatic

My car has 2 reverses and it will not drive forward until I reach 20 miles per hour. It also will go into limp mode. From researching it I believe it's the transmission range sensor. What do you think? I love my Mustang she's perfect in every way but this. Please help me.
Thank you so much!
Old 10-09-2017, 12:09 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

In what way does your car have "2 reverses"? These transmissions were only built with one reverse gear. And how are you reaching 20 MPH if it won't drive forward until that point?
Old 10-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Mustang Mary

Default Transmission has 2 reverses

When I put it in reverse it's drives in reverse when I put it in 1st gear it drives in reverse. It will drive forward after iI get it rolling in neutral or drive when I reach 20 mph.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Ok yeah then you should try adjusting that range sensor first.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:21 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I had a problem sorta like that once...was my linkage. I took the shifter out and manually slid my linkages around to sort it out.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:34 AM
Mustang Mary

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Daehawk
I had a problem sorta like that once...was my linkage. I took the shifter out and manually slid my linkages around to sort it out.
What exactly was yours doing?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I had two reverse gears and forward went nowhere. It would just bog down and not move. It felt like the clutch was shot. Somehow the linkage were in two gears at once. I just had to take off the shift and look at how it worked under it and slid them around until it worked. Never had that trouble before or since.

This was on a 74 Toyota Corolla though not a Mustang.

Could it be your shift cable?

Found this online....................

The transmission range switch is just a rotary switch, located at the transmission, that tells the car's computer what gear is selected. It is also used to light the dashboard lights. If the switch is faulty, it can indicate the wrong gear or multiple gears at once.

The transmission linkage is a cable or other mechanical connection between the transmission and the shift lever. If it is out of whack, the shift lever might be in gear you want, but the transmission will be in the wrong gear (or between gears, leading to the multiple gear light issue). Since the engine revved but the car didn't move, I'd put my money on the cable.

Last edited by Daehawk; 10-10-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:31 AM
Mustang Mary

Default Y

Originally Posted by Daehawk
I had two reverse gears and forward went nowhere. It would just bog down and not move. It felt like the clutch was shot. Somehow the linkage were in two gears at once. I just had to take off the shift and look at how it worked under it and slid them around until it worked. Never had that trouble before or since.

This was on a 74 Toyota Corolla though not a Mustang.

Could it be your shift cable?

Found this online....................

The transmission range switch is just a rotary switch, located at the transmission, that tells the car's computer what gear is selected. It is also used to light the dashboard lights. If the switch is faulty, it can indicate the wrong gear or multiple gears at once.

The transmission linkage is a cable or other mechanical connection between the transmission and the shift lever. If it is out of whack, the shift lever might be in gear you want, but the transmission will be in the wrong gear (or between gears, leading to the multiple gear light issue). Since the engine revved but the car didn't move, I'd put my money on the cable.
​​​​​​
Old 10-11-2017, 03:42 AM
Mustang Mary

Default Thank you

I'll try it.