V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Mustang V6 whining after complete power steering replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Willis F.

Default Mustang V6 whining after complete power steering replacement.

So this year, i recently did a replacement on the power steering pump 3 times, lines, and the entire rack and pinion with outer tie rods as well. I have even taken it to the shop to get it looked at and find out why the whining is still there and they couldnt figure it out after bleeding the system for a second time. Anybody have any idea why. The noise is quiter when i installed everything and the steering is perfect as well as it is quiter while driving also. Only is loud at a halt while turning or driving slow while turning. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Is it the normal power steering hum/whine or is it more of a squealing sound?

If its the normal pump sound just loud then its probably air in the lines. Start your car and crank the wheel a bit right then left 4 or 5 times and turn it off. Go look in your reservoir. If you see tiny little bubbles all in thats the air. Do that a few times letting it sit a bit in between goes. It will help work it out. Could take a week to let it work itself out though. Everytime you bleed it and put new in its just resetting it.

If its a squealing type sound then may be a bad bearing in the pulley on the pump or the engine.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:07 PM
Willis F.

It is the regular whining. I've let it run while turning the wheel for a while. Maybe I'll try it for a longer period of time.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Make certain the pulley on your PS pump is aligned with the rest of the pullies that run off the same serpentine belt. Any misalignment causes deflection of the pulley and the PS is very sensitive to that. It will load up the front bearing in PS pump which is already a weak point. The rear part of the pump shaft is usually supported with an unsealed needle bearing or even a bushing in some cases. Both will wear prematurely when the front bearing is loaded up from misalignment.

Also, what type of fluid have you been using? Only use the recommended Mercon V or approved Motorcraft brand. I've found that PS systems in most cars do not do well with "Universal" type stuff. Too many extra additives that gum up the works or doesn't lube like it's supposed to.

Last thing, are you using the same pulley every time you replace the pump? Most pressfit pullies are only good for 2-3 pressings before they must be replaced. The pressing on-off, makes the fit less tight so the pulley could walk on the shaft or worse, slip.

Last edited by Derf00; 11-28-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Willis F.

The Pulley is aligned already, even the Shop techs said its fine, everything is brand new literally all from ford except the power steering pump as they discontinued. but this is the second one that whines so it cant be a defect. I am well aware how it all works its just that im all out of ideas of what the whining can be as everything was checked out. Also, all my fluids are all from ford and i use mercon V from motorcraft already. I wouldn't resort to any off brands unless i cant get ford approved stuff. the whining is quieter while driving its mostly idling you hear it.