V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Adding fog lights to a 2002 V6 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:54 AM
flyingmanx

Default Adding fog lights to a 2002 V6 Coupe

2002 wiring harness layout ?Does anyone have a wiring harness layout diagram for a 2002 V6 Coupe. I have been searching for a week online. Cannot believe the service manual does not include this type diagram.I am still trying to track down where the white/black wire from the fog light switch ends. It looks like it goes over to the harness that goes through the firewall. But it does not wind up under the power/fuse box. I just need that one wire to finish my project. Without just running a new one through the firewall. The fog light wiring plug was right behind the panel under the radio, I installed the switch and it plugged right in.
I have already installed the two relays in the power box, wired in the high beam and fog light wires and tested it. The only thing left is to find the white/black wire that leaves the fog light switch.
I do not need to know other ways to do this. I want it wired per factory drawing. It is not under the power box as I thought it would be.
I can always run a new wire but it must end somewhere after leaving the switch??

Old 11-27-2018, 02:29 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Wiring for mine is there too, but, since the SBJ is not programmed to trigger
the relay in the BJB, it won't work. I have ForScan, so I plan on activating the
fog option so it will send the negative trigger to the BJB coil pin.

Yours:
The White/Black doesn't terminate inside, look at the diagram, it is the trigger
wire for the relay you said you installed in the BJB, in the engine compartment.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:19 PM
flyingmanx

Default White/black wire from fog light switch

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Wiring for mine is there too, but, since the SBJ is not programmed to trigger
the relay in the BJB, it won't work. I have ForScan, so I plan on activating the
fog option so it will send the negative trigger to the BJB coil pin.

Yours:
The White/Black doesn't terminate inside, look at the diagram, it is the trigger
wire for the relay you said you installed in the BJB, in the engine compartment.
Yes, I know how it works, the white/black wire leaves the dash area, it apears to go through the firewall, however it does not show up at my power box. So it has to be somewheres in between, I was hoping someone might have had this problem.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:23 AM
flyingmanx

Well …. I am still trying to find that white/black wire on the engine side of the firewall. I just ordered a 2002 Mustang wiring diagram manual, That shows the routing of the harnesses.
I was just hoping someone on here had added fog lights to a 2002 base model. And of course done it the way the factory would have.
I did find where it goes through the firewall, but it winds up between the engine compartment and the inner fender.
I used a phone line tracer that puts a pulse on the wire,
There is a bulkhead black plastic fitting that all the wires seem to go through.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:58 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The fog light FACTORY is still a separate switch you install, in the dash.
The most important thing is OE look, where as wiring does not have
to be.

Mine did not come with fogs either, and it is all wired to the fuse/relay center
(BJB) in the engine compartment. I can use ForScan to activate the fog option,
as I now have the headlamp switch, with the "pull" for fog lights in the car.

If I pull it now, nothing is done, the SBJ does not ground the coil for the fog
relay in the BJB. Once I set the option using Forscan, I can plug a relay
into BJB, the FOG relay position, however, no there is no power output from
there, to power the fog lamps. So, to make it factory, I would have to pull
the top off the BJB, and add the power wire from the relay. You will have to
do the SAME thing if you want 100% factory, IF your wire went to the BJB,
has the relay spot, but no power lead out of the BJB for the fog lamps.

Well, I am not going to pull the BJB apart, so, I will simply spade tip the end of
a wire, and plug it into where the relay triggers, to trigger another relay on a FOG
harness. I could also intercept the fog switch output from the headlamp switch
and run it outside to a fog light relay harness. Retains factory look and feel, just
not the wiring portion. In fact, this is what the you-tube videos show. Since I have
Forscan, I could turn the option on so the SJB commands the relay in the BJB,
but everyone else just splices into the wire at the headlamp harness, and runs it
out to the engine compartment to a separate fog relay harness.

So, you have that wire to the firewall, then don't see it outside. So, pull it out, from
inside, see how much you can get. Simply splice a longer wire on to it, and feed
it back through the firewall, and run it to the BJB; take that apart and put it on the
coil ground pin of the relay, and then add the output wire on pin 30 of the relay...
Then you have to hope there is a fused input power for pin 87 of the relay, for
the power output on 30. Then buy the factory relay and plug it in, and hope that all
works right. I mean, it's a lot of work to retain 100% factory. You have the factory
switch for inside, so even if you had to use that to wire to a separate fog relay harness,
it's fine. You still have the appearance of OE, just not the wiring side.

You can use your volt meter to check continuity at the BJB for the switch inside the
car, if it will latch the relay... Put one probe in pin 85, the other in 86, then push the
fog button, if the meter does nothing, the wire is not there.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:46 PM
flyingmanx

Default 2002 coupe fg lights

The fog light FACTORY is still a separate switch you install, in the dash.
The most important thing is OE look, where as wiring does not have
to be.

PMine did not come with fogs either, and it is all wired to the fuse/relay center
(PBJB) in the engine compartment. I can use ForScan to activate the fog option,
as I now have the headlamp switch, with the "pull" for fog lights in the car.

If I pull it now, nothing is done, the SBJ does not ground the coil for the fog
relay in the BJB. Once I set the option using Forscan, I can plug a relay
into BJB, the FOG relay position, however, no there is no power output from
there, to power the fog lamps. So, to make it factory, I would have to pull
the top off the BJB, and add the power wire from the relay. You will have to
do the SAME thing if you want 100% factory, IF your wire went to the BJB,
has the relay spot, but no power lead out of the BJB for the fog lamps.

Well, I am not going to pull the BJB apart, so, I will simply spade tip the end of
a wire, and plug it into where the relay triggers, to trigger another relay on a FOG
harness. I could also intercept the fog switch output from the headlamp switch
and run it outside to a fog light relay harness. Retains factory look and feel, just
not the wiring portion. In fact, this is what the you-tube videos show. Since I have
Forscan, I could turn the option on so the SJB commands the relay in the BJB,
but everyone else just splices into the wire at the headlamp harness, and runs it
out to the engine compartment to a separate fog relay harness.

So, you have that wire to the firewall, then don't see it outside. So, pull it out, from
inside, see how much you can get. Simply splice a longer wire on to it, and feed
it back through the firewall, and run it to the BJB; take that apart and put it on the
coil ground pin of the relay, and then add the output wire on pin 30 of the relay...
Then you have to hope there is a fused input power for pin 87 of the relay, for
the power output on 30. Then buy the factory relay and plug it in, and hope that all
works right. I mean, it's a lot of work to retain 100% factory. You have the factory
switch for inside, so even if you had to use that to wire to a separate fog relay harness,
it's fine. You still have the appearance of OE, just not the wiring side.

You can use your volt meter to check continuity at the BJB for the switch inside the
car, if it will latch the relay... Put one probe in pin 85, the other in 86, then push the
fog button, if the meter does nothing, the wire is not there.
Hi, mine is a 2002 coupe there is no programing involved.. also the fog lght switch sends +12 vdc to my relay on the 2002 ,
there was also no wireing under the power J box I had to install all of that. I picked up a gt power box with the correct relays and wire jumpers & spade terminals. Except for the fog lght switch plug & wire to firewall. Nothing else.
why Ford did not at least bring the wire closer to the power box is puzzelng. I had to evn run wires to the fog lights & high beam wire.
anyway, I now have it all wired except for that white/black relay wire. Worst case will be splicing into the wire before firewall and running it to the relay base.
no big deal. I was just looking to see if anyone ith a 2002 knew where the wire ended.
​​​​​​​thanks
Old 12-08-2018, 02:51 PM
flyingmanx

This what the 2002 power J box looks like, my coupe had nothing on relay 1&5 not even the female spade terminals. I bought this used one on eBay with all relays & fuses

Last edited by flyingmanx; 12-08-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spellng
Old 12-08-2018, 04:04 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I know you do not have any programming, I said, "with mine."

I would just wire one side of the button to a ground, then run the other side
out to a relay harness, ground side of the coil. Then other side of coil to an
ignition source. So, when you press the fog button, the relay latches, then
turns the fogs on.

You don't have to wire a Hi-Beam cut-off. The laws are, you're not supposed to have
more than four light sources on, up front, at one time. Well, your headlamps
do not have two bulbs per side, just one. When you turn the hi-breams on, you
still only have two bulbs on, so you can leave the fogs on... It's a legal thing, not a
must do thing. Even with my Mustang, the lo filament turns off when the hi-beams
are on, so it's still only two light sources. If the lo and hi filaments were on, that
is technically four light sources.

My VW, I have separate bulbs for lo and hi. When I put the hi-beams on, the
lo-beams do not turn off, thus there are now four light sources up front. So that
means, the fog lights, by law, must turn off because there would be six light
sources up front. I had mine programmed to stay on, never got stopped...
Old 12-08-2018, 04:16 PM
flyingmanx

I know you do not have any programming, I said, "with mine."

I would just wire one side of the button to a ground, then run the other side
out to a relay harness, ground side of the coil. Then other side of coil to an
ignition source. So, when you press the fog button, the relay latches, then
turns the fogs on.

You don't have to wire a Hi-Beam cut-off. The laws are, you're not supposed to have
more than four light sources on, up front, at one time. Well, your headlamps
do not have two bulbs per side, just one. When you turn the hi-breams on, you
still only have two bulbs on, so you can leave the fogs on... It's a legal thing, not a
must do thing. Even with my Mustang, the lo filament turns off when the hi-beams
are on, so it's still only two light sources. If the lo and hi filaments were on, that
is technically four light sources.

My VW, I have separate bulbs for lo and hi. When I put the hi-beams on, the
lo-beams do not turn off, thus there are now four light sources up front. So that
means, the fog lights, by law, must turn off because there would be six light
sources up front. I had mine programmed to stay on, never got stopped...
ok, my switch is alrady powered and the led works. White/black Just needs to be connected at relay to turn it on. Relay ground is through the hi beam cut out relay.jst lke the factory drawing showes. That is all wired now. It has jst been too cold up here to work on it. 14° this morning .
thanks for the input
Old 12-08-2018, 05:02 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Yeah, I put a front deflector on my Jetta this afternoon, was cold. I need an oil change too,
can't, too cold... I still have another day or two before it becomes > 10000 mile interval.