V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Runs fine then just dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Bunker_buster

Exclamation Runs fine then just dies

2000 V6 Manual. Car has always had an issue once in a great while it would not run like the engine would stop firing while driving down the road at 60mph. when I pressed the clutch in though it would idle fine and rev fine. after letting it sit it would be fine. It has now gotten to a point to it will start and run for like 5-15 seconds then just dies. No stuttering anymore, no bogging down just dies.

New parts list since i got it:
- 2 years ago
--Spark plugs wires
--Spark plugs
--Coil pack
--Air filter

- 1 year ago
--Throttle Piston Sensor (twice)
--Mass Air Flow Sensor
--Crank Position Sensor
--Passenger side Exhaust Manifold (old one was completely broken at the flange)
--Fuel Filter
--battery (within a few months)

-within a couple of weeks oldest to newest
--Spark plugs (I checked all the gaps before they went in)
--Coil pack (changed with plugs)
--Fuel pump
--Fuel filter (same time as pump)
--cleaned Air filter
--Fuel Pressure sensor

I am at a loss since this is now my only vehicle and it wont run long enough for it to leave the driveway. I have a way to ride to work and back but I need this fixed. I have a in-depth diagnostic tool coming withen the week which should give me a better idea what is going on. I have had suggestions of checking my CPS which I will when i can get to it next, (it is not at my house but my sister's) also check the timing which will be done with the tool. also it has been suggested that my cats are clogged but it doesn't get hot enough to make them glow if they where clogged. I have had my Brother-in-law help me with it but he is stumped just as much as I am and he is more mechanically inclined than I am and I don't have money to take it to a shop.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Easiest way to check for clogged cats is to remove the Y pipe and just look at the insides of the cats with a mirror. Or, start the car up with just open manifolds (no exhaust attached). Make sure it's the weekend mid-day if you do that. You don't want to **** of your neighbors running open exhaust (it's loud.) If cats are clogged you'll see it and/or the car will run like a champ without the exhaust attached. When you do this, be aware your CEL will kick on because the O2 sensors will be disconnected temporarily.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:57 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

If you have a vacuum gauge, you can install an adapter in the O2 bungs and compare pressures before and after the cat.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:52 AM
Bunker_buster

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be sure to keep those in mind. Turns out I was sold a faulty fuel pump. I bought a fuel pressure tester and found out the pump kicks on when the key was in the 'run' position but after the engine started it would not kick on again and you could just watch the fuel pressure steadily drop. I bought the first fuel from O'Reilly, it was Precision brand. I went to Advanced Auto and got a Car Quest one. Car runs perfect now. all the stuttering I had at low rpms in different gears are also gone.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:53 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Good catch! Boy do I hate junk parts.