V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

PATS programming [FORScan]

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:38 PM
sabin_chicago
2nd Gear Member

Default PATS programming [FORScan]

Hi,
I'm writing this post in case someone has to reprogram the PATS system (keys); this should work on any 99-04 mustangs.
This was tested and worked successfully on a 2001 Mustang (the car came with one key even tho it appeared that two were programmed).

You would have to download FORScan (see download link).
Buy a $10 licence for a year (minimum) and an OHP Elmconfig ELM327 OBD2 USB adapter ($29.99).
After you have these you are ready to program your PATS.
If you have only one key that is already programmed, you would need to buy a second OEM Ford key to be able to program it (Strattec key #597602 - can find them on Amazon and eBay between $10-$20). ACE Hardware will cut your new key [$3].
FORScan will let you program the PATS only with a license.
Installing and getting connected to the car should be straight forward.
Once you have all (the new key/s has to be cut before programming - you would be required to turn on/off the ignition with each key)

Within the PATS function of FORScan you will have to choose option [[b]Erase and Program Keys].
Wait about 10-12 minutes until the software will tell you how to actually program the keys.

Watch this
video posted by someone, it will help you with the steps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not tested yet, but FORScan should be able to reprogram PATS if you swap/change your cluster assembly [99-04].
FORScan team told me that once you are done with the PATS programming of your new cluster, you will have to go back to the same function select [[b]Module Initialization].
Like I said, I did not test this function yet (for instrumet cluster swap/change).
I successfully reprogrammed two keys (one old and one new) for a 2001 Mustang.

FORScan download
OHP Elmconfig cable

Old 03-19-2019, 02:56 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Yep, I have had ForScan since last year, and I am still surprised you don't see it
in the forums as much, if at all, and it's free. Not free for android and IOS, but
is for PC. I have a 10.1" Tablet PC, with all my diagnostic software. I have a VW,
so I have VCDS as well...

There should be a section here on ForScan... Will get it going, and more would get done.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:07 PM
sabin_chicago
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Yep, I have had ForScan since last year, and I am still surprised you don't see it
in the forums as much, if at all, and it's free. Not free for android and IOS, but
is for PC. I have a 10.1" Tablet PC, with all my diagnostic software. I have a VW,
so I have VCDS as well...

There should be a section here on ForScan... Will get it going, and more would get done.
Indeed is free for PC, but limited. Recently they added license purchase (if you want to program PATS for example). I don't think you will get anymore a registration just by joining the FORScan forums; like it used to be. If anyone will have the chance of reprogramming PATS after a cluster swap, post your result [I didn't try it yet]. 1st will be PATS programming then module initialization.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:14 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Yes, I know, but there are CHINA versions that are fully functional, not that we support that...
They used to have a temporary license, you could renew every week, or whatever. The
length of the license is in the "key" you get, so of course the China ELM adapters they
sell with ForScan come with fully functional Android and Windows program.

I had a cluster swap, two in fact, and they did not have to program PATS. They did have to
program it for AS BUILT for my car. It takes 15 minutes of waiting when you delete the keys,
then you add them. The 3rd time, for this cluster F, they sent me to the FORD dealer (from
an Acura dealer) and the 2nd cluster was programmed. They needed two keys in order to program
it, I only took one, so I got a free key out of the deal too. Plus, they cut three keys till one
worked. For some reason, my dual sided keys will only go in the locks one way...

When I bough the car, the temp gauge was broken, some other items I noticed on the way
home, so I got it all done for free. I paid $5800 for the car, they did $1000 worth of parts
and labor, so they made trade in on it... Ford billed Acura for the three keys they made,
and they're $100 each, plus the price of two clusters, and then programming, AND all
the troubleshooting Acura did, who had NO business doing it when they have a FORD
dealer down the road. When they replaced the cluster, each time, the ABS/TCS and
BRAKE lights were on... So, FINALLY Ford fixed it...

Also, I meant a section HERE for ForScan... Not their forums.