V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 PM
fhcee3

Default Auto to manual swap

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and I'm looking for information any and all facts opinions thoughts recommendations would be greatly appreciated So currently I have a 1995 Ford Mustang 3.8 L V6 base model Coupe I recently have come into a T5 out of a 2000 3.8 L V6 Mustang I have everything from the spacer plate to the tail shaft to the wiring harness now I was told by someone on another Forum that a 5-speed manual transmission from a 99 to 2004 will not work with a 94 to 98. I am being led to believe this due to the fact that the tail shaft housings are indeed different to accommodate for the speedo gear and sensor. My main question is to everyone and anyone who can help is can I just switch out the tail shaft section / housing with one from a 94 to 98 and have it work?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:49 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fhcee3
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and I'm looking for information any and all facts opinions thoughts recommendations would be greatly appreciated So currently I have a 1995 Ford Mustang 3.8 L V6 base model Coupe I recently have come into a T5 out of a 2000 3.8 L V6 Mustang I have everything from the spacer plate to the tail shaft to the wiring harness now I was told by someone on another Forum that a 5-speed manual transmission from a 99 to 2004 will not work with a 94 to 98. I am being led to believe this due to the fact that the tail shaft housings are indeed different to accommodate for the speedo gear and sensor. My main question is to everyone and anyone who can help is can I just switch out the tail shaft section / housing with one from a 94 to 98 and have it work?
You could. But what do you plan to do about the electronic confusion created for the computer. Do you mind dealing with an ever-on check engine light? There is also a matter of differing location of rear transmission mount. What will you use for a clutch release mechanism? What sort of clutch pedal assembly will you use?

Sorry, but we've only touched on the little things. Add exhaust system clearances, shifter provision, etc.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:57 PM
fhcee3

I got every piece for the factory setup including the wiring harness but I come to find out that the oxygen sensor pins are different between the 94 and 98 and the 99 to 04 so I may have to utilize the automatic transmission wiring harness to the best of its ability. And I really don't have too much of a problem with the check engine light being on due to the fact that it is a 1995 and Pre- OBD2 and I am also aware of the overdrive off light emitting and or flashing to solve that problem I may just pull out the cluster and pull the light bulb. As far as the parts list goes it is as follows the spacer plate between motor and transmission the bellhousing the flywheel the clutch pressure plate clutch disc which I come to find out the clutch is brand new, clutch Fork throwout bearing clutch cable obviously the T5 and I also got the dust cover for inside the car
Old 03-20-2019, 10:59 PM
fhcee3

The clutch pedal assembly also came out of the donor car now the main question I need to figure out is if I can swap out just the tail shaft extension housing off of 85 for my car so I can have the correct speedometer gear / sensor placement
Old 03-21-2019, 10:52 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fhcee3
The clutch pedal assembly also came out of the donor car now the main question I need to figure out is if I can swap out just the tail shaft extension housing off of 85 for my car so I can have the correct speedometer gear / sensor placement
OK, please understand that now I see you have your "stuff" together pretty well. Not to demeaning, I have seen guys get in way over their heads, so having no way to tell how much the guy has ever done or experienced, I try to outline pitfalls: I've overcome some in my day in real stupid ways that seemed to make sense then. Like making up the entire exhaust system for my new, '64 Falcon with 430 Lincoln engine by BRAZING all the bends. The braze melted up close to the manifolds! Real surprise! Never thought those pipes could reach 1100 degrees.

So, now....I would research (I can't give you an out-and-out answer on the tailshaft, too many unknowns) the transmission-end driveshaft yoke issue. Every T-5 I've worked with, all in Fox Mustangs, used a splined slip-yoke just like all the old-time driveshafts. My Explorer has a bolted flange at either end of the shaft, and a slip-yoke up near the front. So, look into any difference which may exist between the 95 and 2000 (you said "85" above, I assume you meant '95). IOW, does the 2000 (which you already have?) have a splined output shaft? My guess is yes. Next issue is overall transmission length, your auto compared to the T-5; close, same? Keep in mind that a "tight" driveshaft yoke (spline gets pushed into transmission to bottom) as rear axle travels up and down, can BREAK mounts, or suspension. Driveshaft "apparent" length change with axle movement is about 3/4", generally, I leave an inch back on front yoke.

Unfortunately, all my experience is with 5.0s and T-5s, so no idea what auto your 3.8 used. Check into maybe, with luck, your driveshaft MIGHT work with the T-5 unaltered. Did the 3.8 use a cable-driven speedo still? Sometime around there, Ford used cable which did not drive the speedo directly. Then, the cable disappeared, all electronic. If you can yank your tail housing off the auto, you can find out what kind of drive gear was used, removable, or machined into the tailshaft. Count it's number of teeth, 7, 8, or 9 was common. Unless no cable, the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) will be part of the cable mount plugging into the trans. Be aware there were two "hands" of driven gear, right and left, depending on whether the cable entered on top or bottom of the tailshaft (left side of trans). Right side of trans yet another story, think Top-Loader had that. Where will you get a T-5 tailshaft and housing from an earlier trans? Once you have that, all the answers come together.

I drive a '94 GT w/ 5.0, T-5, and it's all pretty much like the Foxes were until '93. '94 - '95 used the last of the 5.0s Ford had stockpiled. They then sold them outright. Here's an idea: I have a brand new one in my shop. Wanna buy it? Complete from Ford, top to bottom, everything except a starter.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 PM
fhcee3

Thank you for all that information, my auto is electronic so the speedo gear is retained at the VSS, not sure as to the kind of gear id need just yet, i will need to do more research on that..but ive found a tail shaft extension housing on ebay that im hoping to get....the placement of the VSS is the same as my auto, on the lower left side.....i dont know if that helps much.....the AODE was used in my car originally