V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1999 EGR/Intake problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Rsm1988

Default 1999 EGR/Intake problems

I am coming to you guys to see if I can get some help with a problem that has had my baby parked for a few months, I am going to try and give as much info as possible so bear with me as I explain.

Check engine light came on, took it by Advanced auto parts pulled codes, EGR flow and miss on cylinder one decided I wait until pay day to fix it. Two months later I saw the light was still on and decided I should fix it. Swing by the auto parts store pick up plugs, wires, air filter, EGR valve and stuff for an oil change. Went through did everything correctly "take note I did not unhook battery" put on the new plugs, wires, EGR valve, EGR valve gasket and the gasket seal, new oil, filter and all of the rest. Turned the car on and everything was good to go. Light was still on because I did not clear the codes. Went to auto parts store had them pull and clear the codes was still the same two codes. Had them clear them and next day I left for a business trip to Atlanta GA 430 miles each way. I get about 20 miles from home on the way back there was a loss of power and the check engine light was blinking. Other than that no weird noises or smells "also very important" pulled it in the driveway said I would deal with it in the AM. Got up in the AM took back to have the codes pulled got EGR flow miss in cylinder 1 and 3. Got a new coil back and another egr valve. Went home let the car cool off changed the egr valve and the gasket yet again, as well as the coil pack. A big take note I unhooked the battery to change the break-light stop switch. Got everything installed to specs hooked up battery and turned her right over. Let her run got the faint smell of gas which was odd. I took it for a test drive that is where the story gets fun. The car started to make a backfire sound from the engine bay and a very strong smell of gas and a very rough idle and loss of power yet again. So I took it to my local exhaust shop and they hooked it up to a machine and I was told the EGR valve was not opening and closing to replace it. Explain I was on my second one he said it could be the EGR valve pressure sensor, EGR vacuum solenoid or the tube it's self having blockage. I swapped out the EGR valve pressure sensor and the EGR vacuum solenoid but not the tube yet. Money ran short around the Holidays and just now opened up. Has anyone else had this problem? Would the tube be the next logical place? Possible CAT problems? Any input would be great the weather is getting nice and I want to be able to drive by baby again. Thank yall so much!
Old 04-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Ulver

The EGR valve is one of the last things you want to check as it's rare to be the issue. But it is good to make sure it's not clogged. Have you checked the DPFE hoses that are connected to the DPFE sensor to the Exhaust manifold pipes in the back near the firewall? Your sensor should be in the back near the EGR system. You'll see 2 hoses coming out of the DPFE sensor. See if those are cracked or split. Those often times break with age and you'll soon need new ones. DPFE sensor is checked by the PCM to determine the amount of EGR system restriction

Before you buy anything else, I strongly recommend testing your DPFE sensor, and looking for any broken hoses, clogged hoses or passages that lead to the intake manifold. You should see a red, plastic hose that hooks to the intake, a green plastic hose that plugs into the EGR valve, also. Make sure those aren't broken, because they can easily break.

Take a picture of them and post it here if you have to. Also, check your PCV valve. Hope this helps!