V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Overheating issue (Help appreciated)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 09:46 PM
midgard

Default Overheating issue (Help appreciated)

1997 Ford Mustang V6

I been battling this issue for about a month, the first time car overheated. I was driving it and temps shot up (near/to red) pulled over, smoke was coming from under hood and coolant was everywhere. The upper radiator hose had a sizable rip in it. I replaced the upper radiator hose, added coolant/distiled water to overflow container and distilled water to the radiator itself. I turned on the car, and let it idle, after about 10 mins, the temps once again started aproaching the red, so I turned on the heat to bring the temps down, noticed the air coming from vents was not hot, but barely warm. I turned the car off before it got to red/overheats. I take off the actual radiator cap, and as I did that, coolant gushed out like a geyser from the Radiator overfill container, like it was under pressured. I fill up all the fluids again, turned car on and notice temps where normal even after 30 mins, and my heat from vents was coming out like it should, hot. I been using it as a daily driver for the past month, while checking fluid levels daily and everything was fine. I did notice like a white buildup coating the inside of my Radiator where you fill.

This second overheating occurrence happened today. After driving 15 mins, car started to overheat, pulled over, I notice just coolant near passenger side (rather then everywhere like before) I took a picture of the hose where it looks like it sprayed at, but can't figure out what that hose is, so I can replace it.

Any ideas of what the hose in the picture is? or what could be causing my overheating woes?

thank you
Attached Thumbnails Overheating issue (Help appreciated)-img_0709.jpg  
Old 05-06-2019, 09:50 PM
midgard

Not sure if you can see pic of hose, but here is url to said pic.

https://imgur.com/a/vFB68Lt
Old 05-07-2019, 12:31 PM
Ulver

This is the heater hose that connects from where that hose starts (where the temperature sending unit is connected to.. the gray connector plug) to the firewall connection in the back left.. the coolant circulates through your heater core.

So with that being said, I bet the reason why you had low heat was because you had air and low coolant flowing in the system, especially since the leak is coming from that hose.

Run your hand along that hose and you'll find that it connects to the firewall. You'll probably have to take a few parts off to replace it. Hope this helps. Keep us posted!

Last edited by Ulver; 05-07-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:50 PM
midgard

Originally Posted by Ulver
This is the heater hose that connects from where that hose starts (where the temperature sending unit is connected to.. the gray connector plug) to the firewall connection in the back left.. the coolant circulates through your heater core.

So with that being said, I bet the reason why you had low heat was because you had air and low coolant flowing in the system, especially since the leak is coming from that hose.

Run your hand along that hose and you'll find that it connects to the firewall. You'll probably have to take a few parts off to replace it. Hope this helps. Keep us posted!
Thank you for the response, you where right on the money with that response. The autobody shop confirmed it, but they mentioned the heater core hose is no longer produced/manufactured, so they are having to just replace the rubber part? Just waiting on the pressure test to be performed on the system, and hopefully will have no other issues.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Ulver

That could very well be true. You'd probably have to end up buying a used or finding one that best matches it. The good thing about hoses is that you can sometimes fix it without having to buy a new one like they're doing.

Sometimes damaged areas of hoses can be fixed by cutting that bad section out and replacing it with a new piece of hose with connectors and clamps, which is most likely that they're doing. Glad i could help verify everything and best of luck with the pressure test!

Nice name by the way.