V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Power Chip???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 04:23 PM
GregM3

Default Power Chip???

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, but have been an active member on other auto forums (m3forum.com. "Mash3" 1,500 posts). I'm looking forward to some good times here.

I've got a question for a friend of mine. He has a 1999 Mustang V6 auto, convertible. He's added a CAI and dual exhaust (Magnaflow), as well as Eibach springs and GT wheels/tires. He just bought a "power chip" of some sort and is having a tough time hooking it up. He says it connects to the CAI, so I'm thinking it must be going to the MAF sensor?? Which scares me a bit, since that would mean it is just going to try and fool the car into running the full rich cold start program.

What I'd like to know is: Is there a really good ECU chip for his car ('99 automatic V6 'Stang)?? I'm thinking the cheap chip ($49) he bought is only going to run the car rich, since it is attached to the MAF, and not the ECU. It would be nice to raise the rpm limit a bit, and get better shifts as well.

He take it to the drags at LACR (3,ooo ft.)every now and then, and runs in the mid 17s. After watching an in-car video it's obvious the car bogs down going into 3rd, and could use much more top end. My list for him: Lower gear ratio and posi, tranny shift-kit, ECU chip. it's a daily driver, btw.

Any suggestions??

Thanks again!

Greg

Old 11-06-2005, 05:39 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Power Chip???

Tell him to toss that POS chip in the garbage. And if he doesn't YOU grab it and stomp it into the ground. Those chips DON'T work! Then tell him to spend the $400.00 and buy a DiabloSport Flash Tuner. OR the SCT Tuner. He will be able to do so much more with it. And they WORK!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 05:46 PM
GregM3

Thanks! I've done a bit of research while waiting for a reply and it seems like those two are the way to go. ANy advice on replacing the stock MAF and throttle body?

Greg

Old 11-06-2005, 05:58 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GregM3

Thanks! I've done a bit of research while waiting for a reply and it seems like those two are the way to go. ANy advice on replacing the stock MAF and throttle body?

Greg

If he goes with a bigger T/B, it would be useless unless he ports the intake to match it. Actually he would lose power. And unless he's gonna do some major work, the stock MAF is just fine. Tell him to get the under drive pulleys, and rear end gears. That's where the bang foe the buck is. I got 4.10's and a T-Lok, and there is a BIG diference. Haven't been to the track yet, mainly cus it's closed for the winter, but before they closed I was in the mid 16's before the gears,T/B and porting. I'm betting I'll break into the 15's next time.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:01 PM
GregM3

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

Tell him to toss that POS chip in the garbage. And if he doesn't YOU grab it and stomp it into the ground. Those chips DON'T work!
LOL![sm=icon_cheers.gif] I'll get all Viking on that chip!

Greg

Old 11-06-2005, 06:04 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Tell him to toss that POS chip in the garbage. And if he doesn't YOU grab it and stomp it into the ground. Those chips DON'T work!
LOL![sm=icon_cheers.gif] I'll get all Viking on that chip!

Greg

Cool! The other thing about the Diablo is he can adjust his rev limiter, turn off the speed limiter, and adjust his shift points and pressure. Nothing like a V6 barking 2nd and 3rd gear shifts!
Old 11-06-2005, 06:09 PM
GregM3

Cool! The other thing about the Diablo is he can adjust his rev limiter, turn off the speed limiter, and adjust his shift points and pressure. Nothing like a V6 barking 2nd and 3rd gear shifts!
Right on! That's pretty awesome. From the in-car viddeo, 3rd gear kicks in and the revs actually drop (car bogs down) so a higher and harder kick-in would help.

He ran in with the O/D on, I'm thinking it would be good to turn the OD off. Do you think it affects the shifting, even though it never gets to (what would be) 4th gear??

Thanks again for all the info. This is all great advice, man. I'll try to get him on the forum as well.

Greg

Old 11-06-2005, 06:12 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Right on! That's pretty awesome. From the in-car viddeo, 3rd gear kicks in and the revs actually drop (car bogs down) so a higher and harder kick-in would help.

He ran in with the O/D on, I'm thinking it would be good to turn the OD off. Do you think it affects the shifting, even though it never gets to (what would be) 4th gear??

Thanks again for all the info. This is all great advice, man. I'll try to get him on the forum as well.

Greg

Definatly have th e O/D off. Not only does it give him another gear, but it reprograms the first 3 for a umm...softer? gearing. He will do much better without the O/D.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Rauchle05
2nd Gear Member

I put one of those little chips on my old yellow 96 v6 mustang. It was the difference between a win and a loss between my 96 v6 and a buddy of mine that has a 95 v6. When we both had just CAI only on our cars, then we were even no question about it. The last time i raced him when i had that car i added that chip and it caused my car to pull slightly away from his. So if u ask me, then i have to say it works. Whether or not its safe for the car, i have no idea.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 AM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

It's not safe for the long-term health of your car.

Quick Reply: Power Chip???