V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Peformance parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 03:13 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default Peformance parts?

Ok, I have a 98 v6 mustang that I would like to step up the hp a bit. So far, I havent done much to it and what I have done is mostly for appearance. Performance wise though, I have had dual exhaust put on it, dont know how much that would add on (my dad owns a shop and cut the factory setup off a GT and saved it, I bought my mustang and used it !from behind the cats!), and cobra wheels and low profile tires. I think thats all, and even that adds to the niceness look. Do you think that added much?

I'm low on cash currently, so I'd have to ask what would be the best bang for the buck. Perhaps cold-air induction?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Peformance parts?

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Ok, I have a 98 v6 mustang that I would like to step up the hp a bit. So far, I havent done much to it and what I have done is mostly for appearance. Performance wise though, I have had dual exhaust put on it, dont know how much that would add on (my dad owns a shop and cut the factory setup off a GT and saved it, I bought my mustang and used it !from behind the cats!), and cobra wheels and low profile tires. I think thats all, and even that adds to the niceness look. Do you think that added much?

I'm low on cash currently, so I'd have to ask what would be the best bang for the buck. Perhaps cold-air induction?
Definatly a CAI. That will compliment the duals nicely. Then the next low cost thing to do is 25% Under drive pulleys. Unfortunatly, a Stang of your vintage can't use the 42%. Next step up is gonna cost more. So start saving your pennies and dimes!
Cus, once ya start, it never ends![8D]
Old 11-18-2005, 04:14 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

can u explain to me what the underpullies do? dont they let the belt go slower than before or something like that? lol, im stupid, i know
Old 11-18-2005, 04:24 AM
91stang
4th Gear Member

with the CAI make sure you are familiar with what type to get...

you want one that goes in the fenderwell (umm if they have them for it... they do for mine) if they don't come with that then get one of those sections that keep it seperate from the engine. this will prevent it from sucking hot air from the engine. also if possible insulate the metal. i have one and i haven't insulated it and after driving it for a while and you touch it its warm from the engine heat. this can also heat up the air.

underdrive pullies free up extra hp that is restrictive by the stock pullies not being able to turn as well. for me (not sure if applies to you or not) if my car is a dailey driver and you're caught in traffic your car could overheat. your choice.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:25 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Under drive pulleys free up HP. They allow the driven accessories to turn slower. The HP that would have driven the accessories is transfered to the rear wheels. All you really need is the smaller crank pulley and a belt. Talk to AutoBadges. I THINK the crank pulley is like $79.00, and I saw him quote the belt at $30.00. You should see a RWHP gain of about 8-10 hp.
And before you ask, I have 42% pulleys, and have had no problems with the WP, Alt, or PS. Not even with the A/C on full blast.

EDIT..
You are NOT stupid. The stupid thing would have been NOT to ask the question. That's what we are here for. Ask away!
Old 11-18-2005, 04:31 AM
91stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

Under drive pulleys free up HP. They allow the driven accessories to turn slower. The HP that would have driven the accessories is transfered to the rear wheels. All you really need is the smaller crank pulley and a belt. Talk to AutoBadges. I THINK the crank pulley is like $79.00, and I saw him quote the belt at $30.00. You should see a RWHP gain of about 8-10 hp.
And before you ask, I have 42% pulleys, and have had no problems with the WP, Alt, or PS. Not even with the A/C on full blast.

EDIT..
You are NOT stupid. The stupid thing would have been NOT to ask the question. That's what we are here for. Ask away!
what he said
Old 11-18-2005, 04:41 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

lol, heres a good question..is the reduction in speed going to affect my stereo system. If it slows down the alt, would that do anything? I replaced my speakers with aftermarkets, have 2 12" subs, and a 800w amp?

Also, my father ownes a service shop that does oil service, brakes&exhaust, and stuff like that and I know there are belts galour there, would he have a size to fit it? I mean is it a common or does it have to be custom since the pulley difference?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:44 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

lol, heres a good question..is the reduction in speed going to affect my stereo system. If it slows down the alt, would that do anything? I replaced my speakers with aftermarkets, have 2 12" subs, and a 800w amp?

Also, my father ownes a service shop that does oil service, brakes&exhaust, and stuff like that and I know there are belts galour there, would he have a size to fit it? I mean is it a common or does it have to be custom since the pulley difference?
THAT'S a good question. But, since you can only go with 25% pulleys, I don't think you will have a problem.
And the belt is a stock number. He should either carry it, or be able to get it. Here's the GoodYear number...4060960..

Edit...
That number will work assuming you have P/S and A/C
Old 11-18-2005, 04:49 AM
91stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

THAT'S a good question. But, since you can only go with 25% pulleys, I don't think you will have a problem.
And the belt is a stock number. He should either carry it, or be able to get it. Here's the GoodYear number...4060960..

Edit...
That number will work assuming you have P/S and A/C
he knows his stuff

(now who's the post *****!!!?)
Old 11-18-2005, 04:52 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ok, just wanting to make sure it was a easy belt to get, we order most of our stuff from a advanced auto zone down the road... I found one for 71.96 on www.ssd4u.com

the one site said hp improvement at 8-10 hp, and the other said 10-12...does it really improve gas mileage by 2-3 mpg too?

Quick Reply: Peformance parts?