V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 04:41 PM
tonloc

Default belt replacement

Need to replace the serpentine belt on a 2000 Stang w/3.8L. On the tensioner I see what looks like a slot pretty much in the center of the tensioner arm. Is this where you release tension? There is a bolt head which looks like it holds the pulley on but I figured it should not be used to release it.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:45 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: belt replacement

ORIGINAL: tonloc

Need to replace the serpentine belt on a 2000 Stang w/3.8L. On the tensioner I see what looks like a slot pretty much in the center of the tensioner arm. Is this where you release tension? There is a bolt head which looks like it holds the pulley on but I figured it should not be used to release it.
Use a socket wrench on the bolt on the tensioner. DO NOT pry on the tensioner housing! That's a great way to be buying a new one! One piece of advice...if there is not a belt diagram sticker under the hood. Make a sketch of the belt routing. It's easy to get it wrong....
The tensoiner is behind the coolant reservoir in this pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/17569/15A740EDF6944A27A9DE3AC54E4B4B0D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-28-2005, 04:45 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I though this at first to, but what you have to do is get a pype wrench, or at least one big enough to fit around the top of the tension pulley, get one person under the car with the wrench to turn the pulley towrds the top, or towards you, then remove the belt off of the alternator and one other pulley, and your buddy can release the tension pulley, now don't grab the pulley, but rather the rod or shaft it sits on, grab it at the top, or the circular area for best leverage. Oh harvey, you can't remove the bolt on the tension rod, been there, tried that, and almost broke the socket wrench.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:51 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

I though this at first to, but what you have to do is get a pype wrench, or at least one big enough to fit around the top of the tension pulley, get one person under the car with the wrench to turn the pulley towrds the top, or towards you, then remove the belt off of the alternator and one other pulley, and your buddy can release the tension pulley, now don't grab the pulley, but rather the rod or shaft it sits on, grab it at the top, or the circular area for best leverage. Oh harvey, you can't remove the bolt on the tension rod, been there, tried that, and almost broke the socket wrench.
That's funny..I don't take the wrench off til I put on the new belt anyway..PLUS, I used that method for years, until I got a tensioner wrench pack....
Old 11-28-2005, 04:54 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

You don't take the wrench off, man you need a 7&7, that might get you straight, because you're not making any since.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

18mm socket with a breaker bar attached or 18mm wrench on that bolt in the middle of the pulley. Pull it up and release the tension on the belt. Takes about a minute to replace a belt.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:59 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

You don't take the wrench off, man you need a 7&7, that might get you straight, because you're not making any since.
I was saying, I have used the socket wrench method for YEARS..never broke a wrench, and have always been able to complete the job with a socket wrench! Unless there wasn't room for it to fit in. That's why I got the tensioner wrench pack.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:00 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

18mm socket with a breaker bar attached or 18mm wrench on that bolt in the middle of the pulley. Pull it up and release the tension on the belt. Takes about a minute to replace a belt.
THANK YOU! But don't forget to sketch a belt routing pic.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:03 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I know Harv, just pickin at your typo. Here have a cold one and relax[sm=icon_guiness.gif], you seem tense about that job, don't worry, I'm sure you'll get it.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

ORIGINAL: Derf00

THANK YOU! But don't forget to sketch a belt routing pic.
Defintely do that, my car lost it's sticker so once I took the belt off and then couldn't remember how to route it..Thank god for Haynes manuals!

Quick Reply: belt replacement