MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs-4/)
-   -   gt take-offs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1994-2004-mustangs/78855-gt-take-offs.html)

p0rsche23 11-30-2005 11:42 PM

gt take-offs

how much do local muffler shops usually charge for gt take-offs? they bolt straight up to the headers right?Would it sound ok if i just had the take-offs for my exhaust? lol...i just took my exhaust off the headers and it sounds really LOUD and HORRIBLE,lol...its kinda funny tho,makes me grin ear to ear when i was driving around earlier after i did it....i can just imagine how annoying it is for people to hear that racket go by their house,HAHA....but yeah lemme know what kind of sound,besides loud, the gt take offs would sound like if that was all i had hooked up to the headers..

p0rsche23 12-01-2005 02:35 AM

RE: gt take-offs

rob_boura 12-01-2005 02:52 AM

i would make my own pipes that go to the midle of the car with a set of california turbos with turn downs would make it sound kille thats what i had on my last 91 stang gt i calle da friend and he said it would be a pain to trackem down for one and they would still want atleaste a couple hundred for the pipes

TorchV6 12-01-2005 02:53 AM

well I hate to say this but told ya so about taking off your exhasut it sounds bad. About the Gt take offs I would think that they would sound alright... you would have enough piping to run them back to the spot where the mufflers get held up right not just off the headers?

cobra232 12-01-2005 03:01 AM

ORIGINAL: p0rsche23

how much do local muffler shops usually charge for gt take-offs? they bolt straight up to the headers right?Would it sound ok if i just had the take-offs for my exhaust? lol...i just took my exhaust off the headers and it sounds really LOUD and HORRIBLE,lol...its kinda funny tho,makes me grin ear to ear when i was driving around earlier after i did it....i can just imagine how annoying it is for people to hear that racket go by their house,HAHA....but yeah lemme know what kind of sound,besides loud, the gt take offs would sound like if that was all i had hooked up to the headers..
GT takeoffs are junk and pretty quiet on the V6

the pipes are listed at 2.25" but that is outside diameter and very few spots on the takeoffs actually measure that. myine off of my 99 GT vert measured 1.875" inside diameter coming out of the mufflers. there are too many kinks to make me ever want them. the cheap stainless steel that ford uses on the GT exhaust doesn't like to be expanded much without splitting.

it is a pain to work with but some love them. IMHO the GT takeoffs are what should have come factory on the V6 and quickly discarded for a nice mandrel bent 2.5" Pypes exhaust system from www.pypesexhaust.com

if you want the GT takeoffs you can get them from www.stangparts.com in their product inventory under the induction and exhaust section.

BTW they will not bolt up to your headers. you must modify your Y pipe ( by cutting the Y off) for them to work

you can also get a hooker headers dual conversion for your stang part#HOK-16864HKR

for $189 without the mufflers and add Force 2.5" offset inlet 2.5" center outlet mufflers part #FRC-5002 for $30/piece bothe pipes and mufflers can be found at www.summitracing.com

the Force mufflers are really nice sounding and indistuinghable from flowmaster super 40's but you can buy 2 force mufflers for the price of 1 flowmaster

for $250 you can have a nice hooker/force system that you can install yourself in about 4 hours

The Great Cornholio 12-01-2005 10:21 AM

No, GT takeoffs are not "junk", but by all means go with a aftermarket 2.5" catback if that's what the experts say. A muffler shop will charge around $100 to fabricate a dual midpipe from behind your stock cats and install the catback.

p0rsche23 12-01-2005 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: cobra232
BTW they will not bolt up to your headers. you must modify your Y pipe ( by cutting the Y off) for them to work
k, thats really what i needed to know,ive seen some posts about them but i thought they replaced the y-pipe,hookin up to the headers,but i was planning on cutting the y-pipe anyway today and at least hooking those back up-not yet to the rest of the exhaust back to the muffler tho....but is keeping this y-pipe,cut, a good choice to starting off an exhaust?...i can still add different pipes,like a diff mid pipe and muffler back from the y and it still sound aight? well i guess i dont need to say y anymore cuz it will be like a dual exhaust cut off right after the cats?....i could still get the dual catback system for 100 like cornholio said if i cut the y right past my converters?....and then how much would they charge to put in the mufflers and tips,that would be all thats left to install right?

thanks for all ur input guys

nevermind,im keeping the stock pipe,now cut, and having a shop finish the rest as a true dual exhaust system

cobra232 12-01-2005 11:18 PM

ORIGINAL: cobra232
k, thats really what i needed to know,ive seen some posts about them but i thought they replaced the y-pipe,hookin up to the headers,but i was planning on cutting the y-pipe anyway today and at least hooking those back up-not yet to the rest of the exhaust back to the muffler tho....but is keeping this y-pipe,cut, a good choice to starting off an exhaust?...i can still add different pipes,like a diff mid pipe and muffler back from the y and it still sound aight? well i guess i dont need to say y anymore cuz it will be like a dual exhaust cut off right after the cats?....i could still get the dual catback system for 100 like cornholio said if i cut the y right past my converters?....and then how much would they charge to put in the mufflers and tips,that would be all thats left to install right?

thanks for all ur input guys

nevermind,im keeping the stock pipe,now cut, and having a shop finish the rest as a true dual exhaust system
if you want a cheap dual setup the GT takeoffs will be ok but i wouldn't use them for a supercharged setup

the 94-98 GT takeoff kit from www.stangparts.com is only $185 and had the Pacesetter adapter which mates your cut y-pipe to a factory GT takeoff. the nice thing about this kit is that you don't have to cut the GT exhaust and will accept any aftermarket GT catback

you will have to put the car on a lift and unbolt the rear suspension to fit the pipes through or you will have to cut the tail pipes off of the mufflers to get them on and then weld them back together

it is only $185
here is a pic of the kit they sell
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/8456/1825.jpg

p0rsche23 12-02-2005 02:54 AM

thats not a bad idea as its already set up for my cut y...im going to call a couple places in the city mabout half an hour away cuz i live in a small town,and see what kind of quotes and stuff they can offer, like how much to get that true dual exhaust with pipes they have without asking for any kind of pipe specifically like the take offs. what kind of muffler and tips would be best for this set up without spending too much ?

cobra232 12-02-2005 03:50 PM

thats not a bad idea as its already set up for my cut y...im going to call a couple places in the city mabout half an hour away cuz i live in a small town,and see what kind of quotes and stuff they can offer, like how much to get that true dual exhaust with pipes they have without asking for any kind of pipe specifically like the take offs. what kind of muffler and tips would be best for this set up without spending too much ?
the takeoffs are from 99+ GT's so they already have nice stainless tips on them

for mufflers get force mufflers from
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0265&langId=-1
part#395-5201 will fit the GT takeoffs perfect

the force sound and are built just like Flow super 40's but you can buy 2 force mufflers for the price of 1 super 40

i have heard the force mufflers. they sound sweet. i'll see if i can find a clip of them on a
sixer

here is a post of a satisfied guy with force mufflers. he is the one that posed a clip
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134185