V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

SHO motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Slick97gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SHO motor

ORIGINAL: cobra232

ORIGINAL: Slick97gt

He is talking about the yamaha-built DOHC 3.0/3.2 liter v6's that came in the 89-95 ford taurus SHO's.

I used to own a 94 MTX and they are great motors, and I think it would be cool to swap a boosted SHO motor into a mustang but you have some major problems.

#1: Although the v6 in the SHO has potential, it still has no where near the potential of a 5.0, 4.6, or bigger mustang motor. The swap would be much more complicated then one of the above motors, and the swap would not really be cost efficient.

#2: A SHO motor is set up for a FWD application, meaning it is going to take some serious work to get the motor converted to a RWD transmission.

If you can fabricate a bell housing and do the other things that are going to be needed to make a SHO motor RWD, maybe it would be worth it, but seriously, swapping a supercharged 4.6/5.4 would be cheaper and less involved, and you would be making better power. If you want any more information on SHO's, give me a pm, I know them pretty thouroughly.

I think you guys are talking about the 5.0 High output motor, two completely different engines.
the SHO shares the same bellhousing as the 2.8/2.9/3.0rwd engines so finding a tranny wouldn't be too hard

the SHO would not hold up to the powerlevels that the 3.8 essex block can take. yes it had more ***** in stock trim than the 3.8 but has no real advantage over the 3.8 when it comes to modding potential and holding alot of power

9psi may give 350whp on an SHO engine but 14psi on a turbocharged stock 3.8 gives 430rwhp as proven by Justin Starkey. port the heads and add a turbo spec'd cam with forged pistons and rods with the necessary fuel upgrades and that power level increases dramatically.

the SHO engines are not known for great strength when used with forced induction and the V8 SHO's were not known for durability in stock trim
Hmm I have been into the SHO world for over 2 years and was a active poster at shoforums.com and no one ever talked about being able to match those bellhousings up, but I guess you learn somthing new every day.

And the 3.0/3.2 Liter motors really arent that bad and can handle power, its just most of them have been properly maintained. The motors are very high maitenence(sp?), which is nothing new to you if you know much about sho's. The 3.4 L V8's seem to have more problems, ecspecially with the cams, but Im more familiar with the generation I and II sho's.

And there are several built SHO motors out there running 550+ horses on pump gas, so they do have a good amount of potential.

If I had lots of money and time somthing I would like to try would be setting a set of worked heads and manifolds from a 3.0 SHO motor onto a 4.3 stroked 3.8 block, too bad it would be a MAJOR pita. Just add boost and I bet it would be fun, high revving motors the american way.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:26 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cobra232

He is talking about the yamaha-built DOHC 3.0/3.2 liter v6's that came in the 89-95 ford taurus SHO's.

I used to own a 94 MTX and they are great motors, and I think it would be cool to swap a boosted SHO motor into a mustang but you have some major problems.

#1: Although the v6 in the SHO has potential, it still has no where near the potential of a 5.0, 4.6, or bigger mustang motor. The swap would be much more complicated then one of the above motors, and the swap would not really be cost efficient.

#2: A SHO motor is set up for a FWD application, meaning it is going to take some serious work to get the motor converted to a RWD transmission.

If you can fabricate a bell housing and do the other things that are going to be needed to make a SHO motor RWD, maybe it would be worth it, but seriously, swapping a supercharged 4.6/5.4 would be cheaper and less involved, and you would be making better power. If you want any more information on SHO's, give me a pm, I know them pretty thouroughly.

I think you guys are talking about the 5.0 High output motor, two completely different engines.
the SHO shares the same bellhousing as the 2.8/2.9/3.0rwd engines so finding a tranny wouldn't be too hard

the SHO would not hold up to the powerlevels that the 3.8 essex block can take. yes it had more ***** in stock trim than the 3.8 but has no real advantage over the 3.8 when it comes to modding potential and holding alot of power

9psi may give 350whp on an SHO engine but 14psi on a turbocharged stock 3.8 gives 430rwhp as proven by Justin Starkey. port the heads and add a turbo spec'd cam with forged pistons and rods with the necessary fuel upgrades and that power level increases dramatically.

the SHO engines are not known for great strength when used with forced induction and the V8 SHO's were not known for durability in stock trim
Hmm I have been into the SHO world for over 2 years and was a active poster at shoforums.com and no one ever talked about being able to match those bellhousings up, but I guess you learn somthing new every day.

And the 3.0/3.2 Liter motors really arent that bad and can handle power, its just most of them have been properly maintained. The motors are very high maitenence(sp?), which is nothing new to you if you know much about sho's. The 3.4 L V8's seem to have more problems, ecspecially with the cams, but Im more familiar with the generation I and II sho's.

And there are several built SHO motors out there running 550+ horses on pump gas, so they do have a good amount of potential.

If I had lots of money and time somthing I would like to try would be setting a set of worked heads and manifolds from a 3.0 SHO motor onto a 4.3 stroked 3.8 block, too bad it would be a MAJOR pita. Just add boost and I bet it would be fun, high revving motors the american way.
well it would be nice to have an essex block with DOHC heads but there is no way the SHO heads will even come close to fitting. if you modded them heavily like melting them down and recasting the aluminum into a 3.8 head yeah it would work. that's how ifferent they are. but i agree wouldn't it be nice if they could swap

why ford decided to use the 4.0L cologne OHV to mod into the current 4.0L OHC is beyond me. yeah it's a good engine but if they would have converted the 3.8 90 degree essex block to OHC they would have had a monster and it would be much easier to make a DOHC and nice low fitting high flowing intake on the essex block because of more bank angle with the 90 degree design over the cologne's 60 degree bank angle

if ford would have modified the 3.8 into a DOHC can we say baby cobra engine??? it would put out 275-300hp with ease from the factory
Old 01-11-2006, 03:27 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

You do know our 6ers are faster than SHO's right
Old 01-11-2006, 07:01 PM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

Why dont u just mod your car as it is now
Old 01-11-2006, 08:01 PM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ByPopularDemand

You do know our 6ers are faster than SHO's right
yeah right. keep dreaming. my 97 firebird got tore up on the top end from quite a few SHO's. and the 97 bird is a hair ahead of a splitport
Old 01-11-2006, 08:52 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

1995 Ford Taurus SHO (0-60) 7.0 (1/4) 15.8
That's the v6 model. The V8 models run the exact same since when they switched they did not add much power to them and with a different body style ment there was more weight.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Slick97gt
2nd Gear Member

a stock V6 mustang/camaro/firebird will not beat a stock SHO in a race, unless there is a retard behind the wheel of the SHO. We have had 100% stock 89-95 SHO's get into the 14's with close to 100 mph trap speed, thats pretty far out of a v6 mustang range. The newer V8 model SHO's dont seem to run as well, mainly because the auto transaxle.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:05 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt96stang

1995 Ford Taurus SHO (0-60) 7.0 (1/4) 15.8
That's the v6 model. The V8 models run the exact same since when they switched they did not add much power to them and with a different body style ment there was more weight.
yeah i can quote times for my car too out of a magazine. guess what. it doesn't mean a thing. that's called bench racing. every time i raced an SHO i pulled it till about halfway through second gear or about 50mph then it would just walk away or if i got a jump on one it would catch up and tear me a new *** on the top end.

my 97 firebird has ran consistent low 15's and dipped into the high 14's once. that shows you what an SHO can do. they are not beatable stock for stock with any v6 stang or v6 F-body
Old 01-12-2006, 02:52 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

A V6 99+ can beat a sho ive done it before. I beat my friend pretty good from a dig, and destroyed him from a roll
Old 01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Slick97gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ByPopularDemand

A V6 99+ can beat a sho ive done it before. I beat my friend pretty good from a dig, and destroyed him from a roll
Then your friends car is probably not running right, or your friend is a crappy driver.

Quick Reply: SHO motor