V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Launching my mustang auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 07:10 PM
TorchV6
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Launching my mustang auto?

Yellow I am not saying that you are wrong by any means I just wanted to let people know what the redline really is. Also I wouldnt know about the 99+ auto V6's because I have a manual. So all I was doing is stating what the redlines really are. Also my stock Rev limiter hits 6500 in my car (manual) but my redline is 5250-5300. I know it hits 6500 because I have had the gas pedal stick to the floor before and I had to slam the clutch in so the rpms just bounced off the rev limiter til I could get the pedal unstuck. I am not trying to tell you that you are wrong or that you are right, just stating the facts
Old 01-30-2006, 07:29 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I wanna see the video of you freaking out and trying to get your pedal off the floor while your motor is bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:25 PM
TorchV6
4th Gear Member

haha thanks a** It definately sucked thats for sure. But After kicking it multiple times hard enough it bounced back. The worst part of it all was it happened a couple of times, once when I was trying to get on the freeway and beat a semi so I wouldnt have to be behind him. The other when I was racing an Audi. I felt so stupid when I was racing the audi I was so mad. But yea its fixed now I think.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:43 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

That had to be great. Mid race bouncing off teh rev limitor, stomping the ground, and over revving
Old 01-31-2006, 08:06 AM
Sickspackstang
3rd Gear Member

i remember, that happened to my pedal once only my boot got stuck behind the brake and i was like uh oh... like it was wedges between the brake and gas and my left foot didnt know what to do.... aww crap my hand fell asleep and now it hurts as im typing this crap ... thanks alot
Old 01-31-2006, 08:51 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

ORIGINAL: Clif Brohn

I wasn't looking for 14s in the car, i said that 14 second quarters is probably really good for the average high school student. I have the nicest car at my school that actually is titled to a student. there is an H2, a '65 hardtop stang and a Lexus convert that are nicer, but the kids didn't pay for them like i did. Thats why I decided to race the stang, high 15s and low 16s is probably better than average or average for the high school crowd. And if thats not enough, I'll convinve the old man to let me race the SRT-8, haha. I don't think I'm gonna try and manually shift my auto though. And Do I need to turn off T/C and the O/D, or just T/C?
You can turn off the O/D too. BUT!!! Leave it in drive. DO NOT manually shift it. 2 reasons...first you can damage the tranny, and 2, you can over rev the engine. I KNOW I KNOW, the engine has a rev limiter. BUT, I tried to manually shift once, BEFORE the DiabloTune, and went WAY into redline. It should have stopped at 5300RPM, but it went to almost 6500RPM.
i manually shift my tranny sometimes, go from first to second at 5k and it will end up shifting about 5500 rpm, it cuts second gear loose
Old 01-31-2006, 07:58 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

OK, I tried launching my car just now after school(on an old farming road, no one around) And I ended up just spinning the tires once it got a little over a grand, say 1,100-1,300 RPMs. I tried it again at just a grand, it moved pulled harder than it has, but maybe I'm doing something wrong? Not enough pressure on the brake maybe?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:08 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

launch it without power braking. just push the gas as far down as you can without breaking traction.

but in any case you should be able to power brake to a higer rpm than 1100, it's all aboot practice and getting the feel for your car, like when it is about to break traction or when you finally can get on it without breaking traction.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:02 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

I tried romping on it and my car starts to move before the throttle kicks so when the power kicks in my cars is already moving...no spin
Old 01-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

Hmm, I'll have to do some experimenting tomorrow

EDIT: Post #100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay for Clif.

Quick Reply: Launching my mustang auto?