V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Launching my mustang auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

Default Launching my mustang auto?

OK, my V6 auto mustang is my first automatic that I plan on actually racing people in. As a matter of fact, I joined my high school's drag team(I figure that 14 second 1/4 is good for a highschooler, so a high 15 sec stang is worth joining the team). SO, is there any way to launch the 3.9L V6 auto? I know how to launch manuals, but I have the feeling there is more to it than putting it in drive and hoping for the best.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:41 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Launching my mustang auto?

First and foremost...TURN THE TCS OFF! If you get any wheelspin, your time just went to hell. Second, do a SHORT burnout in the water pit. Just enough to clean up the tires. Street tires don't need to be heated up like drag slicks. Third, don't just mash the gas. When you're at the line, hold the brake HARD with your left foot, and take the RPM's up to about 2000-2500RPM, and when you see the last orange flash, GO! Don't wait for the green, or your reaction time will be s**ty. And most important.,..PRACTICE! The first time, don't EVEN try to compete. Use it as PRACTICE. So what if you lose every race the first time out. After you get some practice runs, you will do better. Don't try to be John Force right off.
DOn't be discouraged when you only hit mid to high 16's. Keep modding, and keep practicing.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:43 AM
BlackSVTsnake302
4th Gear Member

Isnt that extremlly hard on your car when you hold the brake in one foot and rev it up with the other??
Old 01-30-2006, 01:46 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackSVTsnake302

Isnt that extremlly hard on your car when you hold the brake in one foot and rev it up with the other??
not in an auto. the best way is to give it enough gas so that you can almost feel the wheels about to break loose. Your torque converter will be fine, it allows for some play (its not like burning a clutch).
Old 01-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

First and foremost...TURN THE TCS OFF! If you get any wheelspin, your time just went to hell. Second, do a SHORT burnout in the water pit. Just enough to clean up the tires. Street tires don't need to be heated up like drag slicks. Third, don't just mash the gas. When you're at the line, hold the brake HARD with your left foot, and take the RPM's up to about 2000-2500RPM, and when you see the last orange flash, GO! Don't wait for the green, or your reaction time will be s**ty. And most important.,..PRACTICE! The first time, don't EVEN try to compete. Use it as PRACTICE. So what if you lose every race the first time out. After you get some practice runs, you will do better. Don't try to be John Force right off.
DOn't be discouraged when you only hit mid to high 16's. Keep modding, and keep practicing.
So when the tree goes orange, floor it? we're going to have practice days too, so I'll definitely take advantage of that. This won't be my first experience with racing, so always expect less. I just wanna go and have some fun at the drag strip. Its gonna be bracket racing anyways, so as long as I run conistent times, I'll do alright. Thanks for the tips 03yellow. Any other tips/experience would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:02 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Clif Brohn

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

So when the tree goes orange, floor it? we're going to have practice days too, so I'll definitely take advantage of that. This won't be my first experience with racing, so always expect less. I just wanna go and have some fun at the drag strip. Its gonna be bracket racing anyways, so as long as I run conistent times, I'll do alright. Thanks for the tips 03yellow. Any other tips/experience would be appreciated.
When you sit at the tree, there will be a red at the top, 3 yellows and a green. When you see the BOTTOM yellow turn on, go then. And don't just floor it. I did my first time last year, and all I did was spin tires. get moving for a second or 2 THEN floor it.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:28 AM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

That cleared it up, thanks. Well, we actually have practices for this, so I'll tell you guys how i do. Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:01 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

you have a HS drag racing team? damn my HS never had such a thing. now i really hate you. but have fun and good luck. other then that, i never drove a 6er or launched one so i cant help you.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:14 AM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

I was originally going to race the dinosaur(my 962 Ford Econoline) before I got the six shooter.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:55 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ok your not going to see 14s in that without alot of work, ill give you high 15s at the best, make sure you keep O/D off, also, I either shift it manually or as i come close to the shift point pull it from drive back to second because it gives you a harder shift (will actually chirp the tires stock).

Quick Reply: Launching my mustang auto?